Might be relocating to Mass or NH leaving today to check it out

NancyDz

Songster
11 Years
Oct 9, 2008
Dutch Flat, CA
Well I'm leaving today to go visit my boyfriend. We lived together here in CA. He's originally from Andover, Ma area. That's were we met. He has a son there
and went back when his son needed him last year. So I was just laid off my job of 20 years and am now thinking of moving there so we can be together again.. this long
distance stuff SUCKS! I've been a West Coaster all my life.... this would be a huge change for me. So anyway, I've been there before but never with the thought
I'd be moving, more as a tourist. So I know there are quite a few New Englanders on this forum. What's the good and bad? He had said we would probably live in
New Hampshire because he thinks I would like it better. Of course it would be somewhere close to Mass as that is where he works. Anyway, thanks for any insight. Not sure
if this should have been in the Family section or Random Ramblings so move if it's wrong.

Thanks

Nancy

We moved to MA in June 2007 from the Midwest. It was a huge change for us too. We've moved a lot, so I can tell you that your attitude will make the move work. "Bloom where you are planted" is the best advice I have, even though it's cliche.

The good would be that you were with your boyfriend, the bad would be that you were away from the familiar. If you enjoy history, it abounds here. Some towns were founded in the 1600s, some as "late" as the mid-1700s. You will be underwhelmed by Plymouth Rock, but in love with the sunrises at the shore. First Night in Boston was amazing and cold and a wonderful way to ring in the New Year. I love visiting Nantasket Beach and Fort Revere in Hull. Fanuel Hall in Boston is an amazing place to browse and eat and shop. Cape Ann is a place I daydream about landing on the shore as a Pilgrim.

The other "good" is that MA is so close to so many states! We are headed to Maine this weekend and it's only 90 miles away. In Michigan, 90 miles would take you to the next county.
smile.png

Good luck with your move and I'm sorry about your job.

I love New England, but then I grew up here. I'm not far from Andover. There's a lot to do but it will definitely be a change from the west coast.

One good thing is there are a lot of chicken people here!

-Cindy

Thanks for the replies, I was an air force brat so the first 11 years of my life I moved every 3 years but then settled in CA and never left , just moved around within the state. Eventually I think we'll move west... not necessarily back to Cali but more this way. So I guess this move will be sort of temporary but could be a few years. Everyone I talk to comments on the cold... honestly the cold doesnt bother me... but Humidity... that will be tough... I'm used to a "dry heat"
tongue.png

Nancy

My oldest brother lives in NH and his wife is from Boston. I always liked New England and used to spend summers with them when they lived in Boston. Lots and lots of history. I never could see how people swam in the ocean there, even in the summer it was freezing. NE people take a little getting used to but not in a bad way.
smile.png
. The Maine coast is breathtaking as are the mountains and the leaves in the fall. It's the cold and the white stuff on the ground I never really cared for.

Steve in NC

We live about 20 miles from Andover. Happy to talk and give you advice if you want!!

New England tends to have a higher percentage of locals than other parts of the country, so moving here can seem daunting, but it's great once you get used to it. The Northshore (from Boston north to the New Hampshire border) has some great seaside towns and some inland rural areas with lots of farms. It's really a beautiful area.

if you are moving to MA, you get taxed on everything.

moving to NH, they are talking about taxing everything.

darn MA transplant politicians!! but still seems better than CA! (a friend just moved out to the LA area and still can't find a job!)

but it is nice to have 4 seasons to enjoy planting/maintaining/harvest, and a nice break to figure it out for next year! also, the leaves during the early fall look nice!

Brrrrrrr!! Thats all i'm gonna tell ya! UGH! Winter is looooong and cold... *okay, now i'm getting depressed up here...*

Chickie'sMoma :

if you are moving to MA, you get taxed on everything.

moving to NH, they are talking about taxing everything.

darn MA transplant politicians!! but still seems better than CA! (a friend just moved out to the LA area and still can't find a job!)

but it is nice to have 4 seasons to enjoy planting/maintaining/harvest, and a nice break to figure it out for next year! also, the leaves during the early fall look nice!

Yes, this state isn't called TAXACHUSETTS for nothing.​

Back
Top Bottom