Might be time for the Roo to go.....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nuttyredhead, Feb 1, 2012.

1. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    My flock is8 months old and till recent my Roo has been a good boy. Recently if my 12 yr old goes down to the coop he has been complaining that the rooster has been trying to attack him. I thought he was exagerating. Maybe not. I was opening the coop this morning and the roo followed me inside flapping his wings and coming towards me. I showed him by boot and he kind of jumped towards it...This afternoon i cleaned the coop, i let a few girls and the roo outside, so i didnt have any issues. My son came down after i was done, the roo ran to the fence (their run is fenced) head down, following where ever my son walked..... Is this the beginning of something bad??? Is he destined for my dinner table? I was hoping to hatch a few chicks this spring.....sigh.....

2. KBlue

KBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Katy, TX
    Sounds like he could be in his "teenage" years. Moody, but usually temporary. Keep showing him who's boss. It is up to you whether or not you want to wait for him to grow out of it: He very well may, but he also may not.

3. is your crock pot big enough? i have a rooster that does that all the time. maybe its because he is a bantam, but it doesn't hurt. but if it hurts and you are bruised. start up the defeathering machine... [​IMG] because it won't stop

4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    One of my roosters has begun acting like a bully as well. He is a 9 month old Gold-laced Polish. He is not the head roo. He attacked my leg. It hurt! I stopped what I was doing and turned to face him. I stomped my foot as I stepped toward him until he decided he better turn and walk away. He has done the same to my 15 yr old daughter, so I've shown her what to do as well. He will either grow out of this phase or find a new home.

5. this phase doesn't stop, my roo has been doing it FOREVER! it drives me nuts but doesn't hurt![​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by