Might be time to write that letter to the editor about not dumping ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Amiga, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    It's the time of year many are so charmed by the chicks and ducklings at the store, that the cuties are brought home without much thought about what happens when their care overwhelms us, we realize they aren't so cute anymore, etc., etc.

It can happen to just about anybody. Most of us have made an impulse buy (that we later regretted) in our lifetimes. Rather than wait three to six months and then complain, how about some of us write our local papers a letter to the editor and warn others that if they get ducklings, chicks or bunnies and then release them to public spaces, they are causing great harm and heartache?

We all have different ways of expressing ourselves. From what I've seen here we have some very effective writers!

Fat Tuesday a.k.a. Mardi Gras is just a couple of days away (gasp! where does the time go?). Let's try to prevent some sadness and trouble.

1 person likes this.
  2. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    The other thing you can do is contact a local shelter to see if they can do a campaign kind of like the "Make Mine Chocolate" bunny campaign that comes out around Easter.
    I agree, it is horrible that so many chicks, ducks and rabbits end up in shelters around October or so. The 6 month mark is when people seem to have had enough. Good time to start bringing this up now.
    Another thought I had was to get some sort of info into the schools, through one of the clubs maybe? It could be their public service assignment.

3. azhenhouse

azhenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    North Eastern Arizona
    I was thinking about doing this exact thing, writing a letter to be published in our local paper. Honestly, I haven't been to our parks with the lakes because I know that waterfowl are dumped at them, and I can't rescue them all. It is so frustrating! I am our communities new poultry 4-H leader, and so many more kids are getting into showing waterfowl. I know that if people would make an effort at re-homing unwanted ducks they could probably find homes for them. It just takes a little effort, that's it. Maybe in the article I should talk about the work involved in taking care of waterfowl. It is a lot hard than chickens, amen!

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Remember the poem someone wrote about
    about the duckling that was dumped and kept waiting for it's owner to come back to get it? I think East Texas Chick posted it, i wish i had saved it.
    Makes me want to cry just thinking about it.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  5. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I recently made a lens on Squidoo about Dumped Duckies a couple weeks ago if anyone wants to see it. (Just click the link).

6. Lucky1

Lucky1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:

wow, i really like your article, it brings the point across quite well :)

7. desertdarlene

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Thanks! One thing that's great about Squidoo is that it is designed so that you can easily update it. Just today, I added links to books you can buy.

8. Baylor

Baylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2011
    Very nice article!

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I have no idea what Squidoo is but dd I sure did enjoy your article, and i hope alot of people have acsess to reading it and will hopefully make a better decision about whether they can take care of that cute lil duckling they see for sale this spring.

10. desertdarlene

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Thanks! Last year, I wrote an article for Examiner.com about dumping Easter ducks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by