Might chickens eat tarpaper(construction paper)?

ferrycreek

Hatching
11 Years
Mar 26, 2008
We just bought a nice little building for chickens. It's unfinished inside and the tarpaper (construction paper) is exposed. We've begun to worry that our chickens might just tear up or eat the tarpaper. We're going to put linoleum over the floor, but didn't plan to finish the interior walls. Our southern Oregon climate doesn't get too cold in the winter, so we don't need insulation. We did add hardware cloth and insulation between the foundation and the building. We hope the chickens will ignore the black tarpaper and be happy and content in their house. If you have any experience with chickens and tarpaper, we'd like to hear from you. Thanks...

From experience, chickens will peck at and/or eat anything they come into contact with. If the paper has any print on it that they will see, then I would cover it. Otherwise, it won't be hanging for long. They love to explore anything that is different. My sister almost lost part of her tatoo on ankle due to curious little chickens, and I have lost a few moles on the back of my legs. In other words, if it can draw their attention, then it's not safe from them. Good luck.

Ferry Creek- Did the chickens ever peck at the tar paper? We were going to tar paper for waterproofing and not cover it. Was curious the outcome. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom