Might have anot her layer soon

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sawilliams, Nov 15, 2015.

1. sawilliams

sawilliams Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2015
    Nor Cal
    I know it's not a great picture but I was watching the flock this morning and Miss Marshall is starting to show more red in her comb this morning. She's still pretty pale but there is a spot right by the beak that is bright red maybe I can get a better picture this evening when they come in to roost[​IMG][​IMG] compared to the other night when she was still very pale[​IMG]

She will make #3 of 6

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  2. sawilliams

Nov 12, 2015
    Nor Cal
    A better picture she was close to the gate and didn't run off. You can see where the bright red is starting off her beak [​IMG]

3. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Always a great feeling when they start laying. But don't get your hopes up, if you are in north america, the short daylight may put this off until the second week of January. Anyway, that is when my pullets start laying if they have not started laying by November.

Mrs K

4. sawilliams

Nov 12, 2015
    Nor Cal
    Yeah, my second layer had only laid 4 eggs and looks like she is taking her time, she might have decided to stop for the winter but it's only been 3 days and the first of those 3 was rather stressful so I'll give her a few days before I call her out for the winter. By next spring all 6 should be laying...

5. sawilliams

Nov 12, 2015
    Nor Cal
    Ha and there i go counting eggs before they are even layed. Henrietta is my second layer and is in the nest right now. Mildred my first layer is due in a another hour or 2

6. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    The wait for those first eggs can seem so long. But it looks like you won't have to wait a lot longer!

7. sawilliams

Nov 12, 2015
    Nor Cal
    It's really an amazing thing, becuase she is a pullet mothering pullets. But last night was the first time she roosted on the bar with the babies rather then down on the platform, and she has even more red today then yesterday. Things are definitely changing for her, including that she is making the pullets follow her needs now rather then following them

8. sawilliams

Nov 12, 2015
    Nor Cal
    Miss Marshall might have have started practicing her egg song today. Both my hens layed early today, infact early enough that it was our first time having both eggs in the nest together. Eitherway, my husband is home sick today and the coop is out side our bedroom window. He mentioned that I might want to check for eggs again as he heard someone singing in or near the coop. So I went out the check just in case but no egg. I came back and told him I didn't know if they practice singing too but I looked it up and it looks like we are on the right track for eggs very soon

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  9. sawilliams

Nov 12, 2015
    Nor Cal
    [​IMG]

Grr is been over a month. I know it's cold and the days are short so I'm hoping she is just waiting on the sun. But her comb continues to brighten by the day. She's almost fully red now though I can see just a touch of pale towards the back of her comb

10. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Not sure the latitude of Northern Cali, but I am in souther SD, and I think my pullets will start the second week of January. around the 14-16.... that is what has happened in the past. Right now, no eggs, ugh! Within days of mid January, I will be getting scads.

That is my vote, if you are close to that in latitude.

Mrs K

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by