might have coccidiosis.... what to do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dottysfarm, Jul 26, 2010.

1. dottysfarm

dottysfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2010
    Eau Claire, WI
    Hi all, I was just told that my chickens might have coccidiosis... and I am scheduled to have some butchered tomorrow...

First of all, can I still eat the chickens that are scheduled for butchering? (no, they have not yet received any medication)

Second, I read some other posts on this site and based on what I read I did the following: I cleaned, scrubbed, and disinfected (using vinegar and baking soda... I CANNOT use chemicals) I also spread diatomaceous earth all over their ranging area outside and some in the coop on the floor as well as adding ACV in the amount of 1tbsp per gallon of water.

Any opinions on how well this will work? I want to raise my chickens organically if possible and do not want to have to give them meds but also do not want them dying. These are their symptoms, sometimes I find runny poop in the coop and yard and sometimes there is blood in their poop. Other than that, they seem healthy... they are not lethargic, they eat well, and they do not seem to be losing weight.

Need advice please [​IMG]
    Thanks all!

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Cocci is an intestinal protozoa so you can eat them.

As for bloody stools, that is usually an advanced case, and if they are not loosing weight, lethargic, puffy etc, you're probably not seeing blood but intestinal sloughings or undigested junk.

Almost all chickens will have some small paracite load, including cocci, but as adults are immune to them providing levels in the soil are not too high. Dry bedding, early exposure of chicks to the dirt in the run, and you should be good to go and not worry.

3. dottysfarm

dottysfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2010
    Eau Claire, WI
    Thank you for your reply. I am greatful! I did finally find some pics from a previous BYC posting that seems to give me a hint that my chickens are within the range of "normal". I am so glad. My chickens get to range during the day outside in a fenced in area (because of all the dang fox) and then into the coop at night. I clean out the coop on a weekly basis... more if my ducks made a mess of the water. The chickens get to eat all they want and have the option to eat what I provide them and/or what nature provides them. I am hoping this is a healthy way to do it, yes?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by