might have gotten hit on the head

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TeamChaos, May 13, 2010.

1. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    My 4 wk old jersey giant has had her head tucked under her wing on and off all day- it's almost like a sharp seizure that makes her neck curve under. Now, she occasionally turns in circles several times in a row. I have her separated. She's eating and drinking and I've started her on vitamins I've read for treatment of wryneck but no other chicken in sick and I can't help but wonder if maybe she hit her head or got hit on the head. Any experience with this? Anything I can do to assess the situation more fully?

2. TeamChaos

Nov 8, 2009
    I compared her head to the other jersey giant that's the same age and the injured one does have an extra "bump" at the back of her head/ neck. Should I make do with the prednisone I have here and assume it's swelling or keep going with the vitamins?

3. TeamChaos

Nov 8, 2009
    Huh.
    Well, she's alive and robust this morning, except for the neck thing. I've been feeding her, offering her electrolyte water, she'll have another round of vitamins and some prednisone soon.

I've researched all I could as far as head trauma in a non-silkie and information is pretty limited; I'll keep posting what I'm doing here in case it helps someone else.

4. crittersitter

crittersitter Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Westchester County,NY
    Sounds just like my buff orpington. Everything you described and the treatment you are using is exactly what i did. She is much better now. I know my girl fell down the ramp and bumped her noggin so i treated for wryneck/ neurological issues once she started the spinning dance.I read to keep going with the vitamins 2 weeks longer even after she is no longer showing neuroligical signs. keep us posted and hope she is on the road to recovery. [​IMG]

5. TeamChaos

Nov 8, 2009
    Well, she's back in with the other girls and has been for two days. She had two doses of prednesone and I pushed the vitamins during that time, but she seemed to be 100%. *whew* I'm so thankful!

6. crittersitter

crittersitter Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Westchester County,NY
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by