Might have " grandbabies " soon UPDATE !!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Crazy4Chicks, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Songster

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    My pair of hairless rats might be parents !!!!!!!!

I have noticed my female Victoria getting pretty fat lately ! this is thier first litter so I am pretty excitied to see what the babies are going to look like

I also added another rat girl to our family a pretty little furry hooded girl - she is still really young and such a sweet girl !!

I work at a pet store and 3 of my rats I care for at the store have had babies - we have a few we keep for breeding because people buy the babies for snake food - but most of the babies are sold as pets

since Victoria is a hairless and I know they sometimes have issues with nursing the babies I have a female at the store who should be having her babies around the time Victoria does and if my girl is having problems I will let the other rat mom care for the hairless babies

I hope she has some blue babies like my male [​IMG]

I will post pics when she has them [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Cool! I love rats. [​IMG]

3. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Songster

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    UPDATE !!

BABIES ARE HERE

Victoria gave birth this morning to 10 babies - 8 live and 2 stillborn

so far they look great - all have a nice healthy pink color to them and they are mantaining a nice warm body temp

it looks like they are nursing - some have milk in thier bellies ( you can see the white milk through thier skin ) I will keep checking on them and make sure everyone is drinking if not I will take Victoria and her babies to work and move the babies to a foster mom that is great with nursing babies from other litters.

right now the babies are making alot of noise - and Victoria keeps moving them from one corner to the other - I hope she calms down soon and relaxes with her new babies - she is a first time mom so I am sure she is just unsure of things

Kate and Fredrick have been removed and put in another cage - Fredrick kept brings food to the babies and dropping it on them and Kate was trying to lay with the babies - so now they are in thier own cage ( if I had known Victoria was going to have them this morning I would have moved Kate and Fredrick before the babies were born )

once Victoria calms down I will try to get pics of her new brood

4. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Songster

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    That sounds so cool! I can't wait to see pics.

5. Isablahblah

Isablahblah Songster

Jul 7, 2009
    silly question i know but i have to put it up are they born with hair! ha ha ha! [​IMG]

6. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    AWWW! I love my hairless rat Sophie [​IMG] MUST HAVE PICTURES !!!!!!!!!

7. raroo

raroo Songster

Nov 5, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Be prepared for more babies if you have Kate and Fred living together. And then more babies from Victoria when she goes back to live with Fred and Kate. And babies from the babies as soon as they are 5 weeks old if they are not separated by then...
    I recommend you keep a couple of the male babies and provide a separate home for them and Fred to live together, and then just let Victoria and Kate live together on their own. (Or with any female babies you decide to keep.)
    You'll find yourself running a rat mill before long, it can get out of hand pretty quickly. Also, you say Kate is still very young, it is dangerous for her to have babies at too young of an age, and also unhealthy for females to have more than 4 litters.
    OR, you can have Fred neutered, and then he can live with his girls. I've had a male rat neutered before, it cost about $200. I felt is was worth it as he was a very aggressive rat, calmed him right down. [​IMG]
    I used to be a member of this forum when I had rats.

http://www.jorats.com/

Its a Canadian forum but with tons of very experienced and friendly rat people on there. [​IMG] I know they will be more than willing to give you some great advice on how to take care of your babies, etc. [​IMG]

8. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Songster

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    Quote:well right now Victoria is living the single mom life with her babies and I do not plan on putting her and Fredrick back together too soon --

Yes Kate and Fredrick are living together - reason is Kate was traviling from Okla with 6 other rats ( mostly all males ) and the chances are that she is already preggers - she is a young girl but she has had a vet checkup before I brought her home - vet said she could carry and deliver babies ( of course we had hoped it would be later when she was older ) Fredrick for some reason has not tried anything with her - he grooms her but thats about it - he does not even curl up to sleep with her

once the babies are old enough they will go to the pet store where I work and be sold as pet only rats NOT snake food !!! once the babies are gone and provided Kate is not preggers she and Victoria will be living together and I plan on getting another male rat - this one will be furred and hopefully a hooded

I have it all planned out to advoid having a rat overload at the house.

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    You posted one day thinking that your rat was preggers, then posted 2 days later that she had babies?? I'm thinking you need to watch them a bit more closely!!

Congrats on the babies anyway!

10. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Songster

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    I have not been home much to keep track of Victoria's weight gain

I work almost 7 days a week leaving really early in the morning and not getting home until later at night ( my job is about one hour -one way from where I live now )

plus add to that I help out with Horse Therpy for the handicapped at least 1-2 days a week plus help with Special Olympics that will be coming up in a few weeks - we are all pretty busy getting things ready for that

I did notice BEFORE I posted that Victoria was getting bigger but just did not have the chance to sit at my computer long enough to post about it than

me and DH have known for several days that babies were on the way - but I was just not able to post very often about it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: