Might have some roo's, uh-oh

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by craziekeiichi, Jun 25, 2016.

1. craziekeiichi

craziekeiichi Just Hatched

Jun 25, 2016
    Hello!

I started a small flock in an urban setting not too long ago (April 20). The first 6 chicks I purchased were straight-run BA's from TSC. The following week I purchased 6 Americauna pullets. I fear there may be some males in the mix. Possibly even most of the BA's.
    My girlfriend swears she's heard what she describes as a rooster going through puberty and making his 'call.'
    The problem is that I can't have any roosters where I'm at because of the noise they make. 5 of the 6 BA's look the same. Any experience in helping me determine the sex would be greatly appreciated!

This BA is different than the other 5:
    [​IMG]

Is it possible that I could have 5 males and 1 female Black Australorp?

2. lcertuche

lcertuche Chillin' With My Peeps

It does seem like one of the black ones isa pullet but I'm not familiar enough with this breed to know if females grow large combs or not.

3. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    It does look like you have some little cockerels. The one in the square is your pullet. I see 3 cockerels in the pic. Straight run is anybody's guess.:D

4. craziekeiichi

craziekeiichi Just Hatched

Jun 25, 2016
    Oh no!!!
    So I have to get rid of 5 then :(

That's some seriously bad luck

Thanks for the input

5. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Three little cockrels in your picture. That's how straight run works out. My April chicks are starting to crow, and it's very cute! If there's a poultry processor in your area, they will taste great, in another month or so. You may be able to move them on through craigs list, or signs at the feed store. Australorps are generally nice birds, and maybe someone will want a flock rooster too. Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by