Might have to change my mind about breeding light Sussex.......

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by The Sheriff, Dec 19, 2009.

1. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    We think we had another hawk in the yard today. DH went out just as a crow was flying up and everyone was hiding in corners. The crows chase the hawks away, usually. No chickens hurt or missing though.

I think white chickens on green grass are just hawk magnets! I sure don't want one of these GreenFire Farms chickens to be carried off. I hate keeping chickens in runs. Maybe my yard is too small for runs big enough for these guys. I am going to have to think about this plan. [​IMG]

Mary

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2009
  2. TimG

TimG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    What kind of cover do they have in the yard?

3. The Sheriff

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Quote:Lots of big oak trees on one side but open grassy area on the other.

4. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    I know what you mean. White (or black/white) chickens are definitely hawk magnets. Once we had silver spangled hamburgs. Lightweight, fast, capable of flying, yet which breed did the hawks pick off? The hamburgs.

I also have some of Greenfire's Sussex. Just about had a heart attack when a hawk almost got one several months ago. So for now they're in a shortened covered run. I know they'd rather have a bigger area, but until I can hatch more that's where they'll have to stay. They will have a snow free area though, unlike my free range group.

5. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

You are right, Mary. You shouldn't have them there ... much too dangerous. Send them all to me .... for safety reason, ya know. [​IMG]

6. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Get some turkeys in your flock. My turks will not tolerate hawks, & run them off.

7. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    You are right, Mary. You shouldn't have them there ... much too dangerous. Send them all to me .... for safety reason, ya know.

[​IMG]

8. The Sheriff

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Quote:I had read that turkeys and chickens should not be housed together. Is that wrong? And I have a small yard. Check out my BYC page for pics.

But, if it works, I could raise the turkeys and sell them, right. I am one of those who could never eat anything I have raised. I am not against it, just unable to do it.

9. The Sheriff

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Quote:You just want the eggs! You are starting to go into withdrawals as the end of your staggered hatch approaches sometime in the first quarter of 2010. [​IMG] You are starting to feel a little anxious and like bugs are crawling under your skin. [​IMG] You are thinking to yourself, "those light Sussex are about 8-12 weeks old right now. By the time this staggered hatch ends they'll be laying!" [​IMG]

Well I am a nurse and I CANNOT support your addiction. [​IMG]

Mary

10. ultasol

ultasol Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    Turkeys and chickens aren't supposed to be a good combination. Geese, however, don't share the diseases as readily and are definitely aggressive enough to scare a hawk. That said, I would get young geese and raise them with the chickens to ensure they imprint on them and it will, hopefully, limit aggression. I would *not* put geese in a small covered run with chickens.

My geese have been kept in pasture with chickens without any problems. During breeding season my ganders do get protective of their nests, but they limit themselves to displays of territoriality unless the invader is persistent.

In order of gentleness from most to least gentle (of the breeds I personally have):
    1) exb toulouse
    2) buff americans
    3) sebastopols (my sebbie goose just laid and my gander is being a bit of a bear)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by