Might lose Delilah... UPDATE: Seems Okay At the Moment

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by speckledhen, Dec 29, 2008.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I was only kidding, sort-of, when I said I was afraid what would happen in the remaining days of 2008. Must have been prophetic.

Suede's daughter with Velvet is a huge, robust tank of a Black Orp girl. She is bossy on the roost and we have to make her move sometimes and not beat up the smaller girls. She has NEVER been ill and has no symptoms. I found her this afternoon on the top roost just standing like she was frozen. When I spoke her name, she climbed into a nest, sat down and closed her eyes. She wouldn't repond so we took her up to the house. She keeps acting like she cannot keep her eyes open, then she'll wake up and act like she just nodded off. Her crop is completely empty, except for maybe a few seeds, and she pooped a big, normal poop while we were holding her.

No discharges, eyes bright and clear, comb color good, hasn't lost any weight that we can feel. No injuries whatsoever. She just acts like she'll die before the night is over. She has no contact with poisons (we chicken-proofed this place over time, even though there is acreage she can roam. The environment is the same as it's always been).

I did just lose my young Delaware pullet, but she was never full size and we have concluded after opening her up that she had a heart defect and coming into lay just put too much strain on it.
    The ones I lost earlier in the year were all internal layers, all hatchery birds. I lost Delilah's mother to sour crop during a hard molt just recently. This is something completely different and non symptomatic. I'm stumped and frustrated and upset. Delilah lived with a different group than her mother or the Delaware girl, so they have nothing in common, except that she is of the Blue/Black/Splash Orp persuasion.

We have her in the house in the playpen. We did syringe vitamin and electrolyte and honey water into her mouth. DH just put a bowl of bread crumbs soaked in oil with honey and she did eat that.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  2. spookyevilone

spookyevilone Crazy Quail Lady

Oct 5, 2008
    Minneapolis
    I'm sorry about your bird [​IMG] Keep us posted, and here's to hoping she's just feeling sleepy today. [​IMG]

-Spooky

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Oh speckled, I'm so sorry to hear that. You've certainly had more than your fair share of chicken troubles this year.
    Here's hoping for much brighter things for you in the new year. [​IMG]

4. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Oh Snap, Cyn!!!
    Hugs and prayers for Delilah.

5. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Oh Cyn!! NO no no! I am so sorry. Maybe she was up all night rebelrouseing...and is sleeping it off today. I sure hope she is just haveing a lazy day...im so sorry. Come on 2009!! IT WILL be a BETTER YEAR for you!

6. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Oh Cyn... I really just don't know what to say here. It just doesn't quite seem fair, that's for certain. I really hope that maybe this is just a fluke and that she'll be all better in the morning. [​IMG] and lots of [​IMG]

7. Crazy_For_Chickens

Crazy_For_Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Minnesota
    I'm not really sure, but maybe she is cold? I would put a heat lamp near her. I would also put the food and water by her too.

Sorry for your little chicken. I hope that she gets better.

CFC

8. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    Hope she pulls trough! [​IMG]

9. WisconsinChick

WisconsinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Have you ever heard of attracting things that you think about too hard? Hopefully all she needs is some positive thoughts.

10. ChicknThief

ChicknThief Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    My heart dropped when I read your subject. This is just aweful! What a stinker 08 has been for you! [​IMG] Here's hoping she is just a little "off". [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by