Migrating ducks????

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by the 412 chicks, Sep 1, 2009.

1. the 412 chicks

the 412 chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    fremont
    I have 4 female mallards and 1 male alond with 4 pekins and 1 kaki cambel. i have raised the since they were chicks. they free range and i feed them daily.I whistle and they all come to me to eat. They are now Approximatly 23 weeks old. will the mallards fly south when it comes time to. i live in NW ohio.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  2. Squirtchy2009

Squirtchy2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Essex
    They should'nt do, i take it there wings ar'nt done, but i highly dout that they would !

3. the 412 chicks

Jul 22, 2009
    fremont
    ya they fly all of the time around the property but immedietly come back

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    They shouldn't. Unless they start hanging around some wild ducks, they seem to like your place and see it as home.

5. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

My mallards aren't clipped, because I think that they have a much better chance of evading predators if they can fly, since sometimes they refuse to come in off the pond at night. They think that my goose is their mother (father?), and wouldn't ever fly away.

6. rlhbond

rlhbond Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    Mocksville, NC
    I had mallards last year and din't clip their wings. They were beautiful to watch as they flew circles around our property. They flew higher and higher every day. Eventually they realized there was a lake a few miles away and started heading there every day, but would come home at night. Their return visits grew less frequent and one night they brought a wild female home with them. When the wild ducks took off for the winter, my ducks went with them. I thought I might see them back this spring but no luck.

7. the 412 chicks

Jul 22, 2009
    fremont
    My ducks arent afraid of me at all. they never go anywere else then around the property. They fly very seldom. I toss them in the air and the either fly to the pond or just land a few feet away. They have never had any contacy with the wild ducks. they swim in a kiddy pool most of the time. Also when ever They see any kind of bird they hide under a big pine tree by there pool. If they go its what they wana do.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by