1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Migratory waterfowl breeders thread!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Boggy Bottom Bantams, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Okay, many of you may know, I am a migratory waterfowl lover, but seems like everyone just wants to talk the same ol domestics.
    Dont get me wrong, they are nice, but nothing like these, if you keep them you know what I am talking about.
    I kept at or a little over 100 species for ruffly 20 years and unfortunately had to move several years ago and had to get rid of all of them. I am now back on my 130 acre farm and now fully intend to get a new VERY large aviary built and start getting them all back.
    My goal here, is to share info, find fellow BYC breeders to trade with, share pics, and introduce all the BYC duck people to these beautiful birds. I wish I had pics of all of my old birds to share, put back them we didnt have the digitals and all like we do today so will have to rely others to share those. I do have some video of when I kept a large collection of ducks here for the Bronx Zoo Wildlife Conservation Society while they built them a new display facility, that was pretty cool! Not sure how to link it up?
    Here;s a brief list of some of what I use to have, maybe some one will post pics or you can image search them .
    19 species of teal, 7 species of Treeduck, goldeneyes, buffleheads, smew, mergansers, tuffed ducks, ringneck, scaup, canvasbacks,pochards,4 species of pintails, redheads, 3 species of widgeons, and gadwalls, woodies and mandarins of course, ruddy ducks, am. eiders, shovelers (very cool) The list goes on and on.
    Anyway, if you raise or like these species of waterfowl (geese too) I would love to see you post on here about them. Also like I said, will be getting these back soon, so if you breed them, I would love to hear what you usually have available!!
    Lets have some fun with this....

2. heritagebirds

heritagebirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Eastern Shore MD
  3. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Ha, totally missed that one, It's definatly a GREBE, not a coots or scoter! We have them here in our swamps by the 100's.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by