Mike Rowe Speaks To Commerce, Science, and Transportation Committee

Quote:
Oh yeah, he would be GOOD for us! However like other celebrities, they revert back to their greedy ways, turn a blind eye to the public's wants and needs. Hope it is not the case for Mike.

Too bad the OP couldn't post a direct link due to some choice words used the comments section. I enjoyed Mike Rowe's very eloquent speech, so much that I brought up the link on my dh's computer for him to see when he comes home from his own dirty job.

It's true, most people don't give a second thought about the behind-the-scenes workers. I'm not a parent, but I do have a hunch that most parents do not encourage their children to consider a job in the trades industry. I'm proud of my electrician niece--I don't think she will have to worry about her job being outsourced overseas. Instead of having a huge student loan to pay off, she was able to buy a house in her early 20s.

One reason for the shortage of skilled laborers: There are some young people that have found a way to live off the government, hopping from job to job, working just enough to get money for their drugs, beer, etc. There needs to be a way to monitor whether government assistance is truly needed, or just a way to support a person that is plenty able to work, but won't. A case of plain ol' laziness. Unfortunately most of these people learned how to manipulate the system from their parents and grandparents. They can't fill out a simple job application correctly, but they know all the tricks to filling out a food stamp or public housing application. Dh is a roofing contractor and he sees young men that work a few weeks then quit---it's just too easy to live off their girlfriends, the ones with food stamps and government housing. Clearly, these people aren't college material, but they sure could pick up that shovel or hammer.

The grin, and the body...
droolin.gif

Yeah, I like Mike Rowe, too!

There was a Dirty Jobs episode where he was sick in bed and had to have a Dr come and look at him...

All of this means nothing except for the fact that he was shirtless...and OMG!
th.gif

Quote:
42kmoig.gif

Ha! I'll let others duke it out, since I have my own darling dear, but I am a huge fan of Mike Rowe.

Lovely man, lovely voice, lovely personality, lovely qualities. He's also a friend of the Boy Scouts. He made Eagle and actually wrote a heartfelt letter to a parent who wanted him to persuade their child to stay in the scouts. He said no, and his reasons were right on!
http://brave-captain.blogspot.com/2009/12/mike-rowes-letter-to-potential-eagle.html

Then, there's this: http://www.mikeroweworks.com/scrap-yard/eagle-scout-letter/

He wasn't nearly so handsome when he was a QVC host.

Love that man!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom