Mike the Headless Chicken

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chicklady63, Mar 4, 2009.

1. chicklady63

chicklady63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    Hi,
    Has anyone ever heard of Mike, the "headless" Wyandotte cockerel? He was intended as dinner, but when a farmer in Fruita, Colorado attempted to behead him, the young rooster survived and lived for another 18 months, touring the country & making a lot of money in the process. For years now there has apparantly been an annual festival in his honor. Has anyone out there ever been or ever read the book about "Mike"? I'm intrigued in a horrified sort of way, but investigators claimed the rooster was not in pain or suffering in any way.

2. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I have heard of "Mike"! I found it accidentley while searching for something else. I read about the story and the festival. It seems like he lived a nice "long" life. The site showed pictures too. Unfortunatley I have no idea where I found it!

3. ursusarctosana

ursusarctosana Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    Spokane, WA
  4. ursusarctosana

Aug 6, 2008
    Spokane, WA
    Apparently he had enough of his brain stem left and that is why he continued walking and scratching, etc. It was 1945; he was insured for $10,000.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  5. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

Yeah, and he was not completel headless he had something like a ear and a little bit more still on. The guy feed and watered it with a eye dropper, the roo lived like a month from what I heard.

6. ursusarctosana

Aug 6, 2008
    Spokane, WA
    Surprisingly, he actually lived for 18 months known as the "severed wonder of the world".

7. andehens

andehens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Scenic Sierra Nevadas
    I googled him awhile back, pretty interesting rooster!

8. kdcrws

kdcrws Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    L.C. FL
    First time I heard of him was a few years ago on the Bob & Sherri radio show. He lived what a couple of years w/no head.

Just remembered the town they were from has a festival every year in honor of mike the headless chicken.

9. kdcrws

kdcrws Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    L.C. FL
  10. ursusarctosana

Aug 6, 2008
    Spokane, WA
    That's awesome that there's a festival in his honor.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by