Mike's Bleu Cheese Dressing

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by bigmike&nan, Mar 18, 2012.

1. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

I saw an article on a great brisket house in the midwest. Looking at their menu I saw one thing that really got me, a simple wedge of iceberg lettuce with their house bleu cheese dressing and crumbled bacon over the top. WOW what a flavor combination. So I set out teaching myself how to make bleu cheese dressing. My wife is a healthy eater and all this meat smoking I have been doing leaves her a little cold. I think I nailed it.

mis en place:

2 cups mayo
    1 cup sour cream
    1 cup buttermilk
    1 tbls spicy mustard
    1 tbls worsteschire sauce
    1 tbls lemon juice
    1/2 tsp garlic powder
    1/2 tsp onion powder
    1 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp paprika
    1 tsp dry tarragon

1/2 lb good quality bleu cheese chopped

Combine 1st group of ingredients in a mixing bowl well, then add half the bleu cheese, mix that well until the cheese breaks up a lot, then pile in the remaining bleu cheese and taste, adjust salt, pepper and lemon juice for taste. Store in the fridge for 4 hours before serving so the flavors can meld nicely.

Serve over a wedge of iceberg lettuce and garnish with croutons or crumbled bacon.

[​IMG]

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Mike, real blue cheese dressing is made with eggs and oil, emulsified (yeah, like mayonnaise)

Your recipe lacks celery. I liquify fresh celery leaves, but you might be able to just add a pinch of celery salt.

3. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Well, I should have known that, since you are a serious cook.

My recipe for Blue Cheese dressing

2 eggs
    1 T fresh lemon juice
    1 T apple cider vinegar
    1/4 C chopped onion
    1/4 C chopped celery
    1/2 t salt
    1/2 t white pepper
    1/8 t cayenne pepper
    1/2 t minced fresh garlic
    1 t Worcestershire sauce

2 C vegetable oil
    1/2 C crumbled blue cheese

Place all ingredients except the oil and cheese into the blender and process for 15-20 seconds (I usually run it longer than this to make sure the veggies are absolutely smooth)

Continue processing while you drizzle in the oil is a slow steady stream.
    Process another 45 seconds and pour into a bowl and mix in the cheese.

cooks notes: I like more blue cheese. I add the 1/2 cup at the end into the blender so it gets mixed into the dressing for flavor and then add an additional amount to taste to make the dressing chunky. Also, for the celery, I use the leaves from the inside of the bunch of celery.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by