Mike's Burgers

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by bigmike&nan, Aug 12, 2011.

1. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

Back when I was in chef school the place had two restaurants and a retail store that sold food produced in the school by the students. Eveything we cranked out was really top flight. Part of my training I worked in what was called The Academy Grill - you did two weeks waiting tables and two weeks working the line (same in the other restaurants). The Academy Grill had a hamburger on it's menu that was extremely popular. Served with fresh cut french fried potatoes or french fried sweet potatoes and a freshly made garlic mayo it comprised about 1/3 of what customers ordered. A BURGER that good, yeah because it wasn't made of just ground beef... Try these. What I do is cut pieces of parchment (or wax) paper and lay a long strip in square food storage boxes - as I make my patties I lay one down, fold the excess paper over it and lay my 2nd patty on top of that, plop on a lid and freeze them until we feel like having them. Really great.

1 lb ground beef
    1 lb ground pork
    1 lb ground veal (or 1/ 2 lb veal and 1/2 lb lamb, what was used at The Academy Grill)
    1 bunch scallions, chopped
    1 cup fresh flat leaf parsley finely chopped
    1 cup seasoned bread crumbs (make your own out of old bread)
    2 eggs
    1 Tbls Herbs de Provence
    1 Tbls A-1 Steak Sauce
    1 Tsp Seasoning Salt
    1 Tsp Fresh Cracked Black Pepper

Combine all ingredients well with your hands (I used my Kitchen Aid mixer and the paddle attachment), shape into patties and store in microwave food storage boxes, 2 to a box. 3 lb. of meat should give you about 10-12 very tasty burgers. We just fry ours in a heavy cast iron skillet in a little EVO and serve on a plate with a baked potato and some beans. WOW !!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Sounds really good.

3. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    MMmmm I wanna try that!!! [​IMG]

4. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    How thin do you pat your burgers out to and do you use a screaming hot skillet and blacken them???

5. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

That is almost my italian meatball recipe.....

never thought about using as a burger tho!

6. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

Morning everyone and thanks for topping this recipe back up to the top.
    I used a cast iron skillet and I cook them with a lid on to hold in the heat (and grease) and I cook 'em kind of slow, otherwise they get too crisped on the outside.
    Just ground beef or even ground chuck doesn't have that much flavor and by adding pork, veal and even a small amount of lamb they start tasting pretty good - also a little extra fat from the pork keeps the burgers juicy.
    I remember in Chile my old gf buying really lean beef and made burgers with it - they were like cardboard - "fat equals flavor" was a mantra I heard all the time in chef school. Walk it off.

7. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    bigmike&nan :

Morning everyone and thanks for topping this recipe back up to the top.
    I used a cast iron skillet and I cook them with a lid on to hold in the heat (and grease) and I cook 'em kind of slow, otherwise they get too crisped on the outside.
    Just ground beef or even ground chuck doesn't have that much flavor and by adding pork, veal and even a small amount of lamb they start tasting pretty good - also a little extra fat from the pork keeps the burgers juicy.
    I remember in Chile my old gf buying really lean beef and made burgers with it - they were like cardboard - "fat equals flavor" was a mantra I heard all the time in chef school. Walk it off.

How true Mike I have said this for many many years, but so many folks are so hung up on any fat of any kind in anything that their tastebuds have gone dormat LOL. My burgers also closely resemble yours and it's a good recipe, thanks for sharing.​

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Yum! I'll be trying this one! Thanks, Mike!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by