Mike's new Houdans!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by houdans, Oct 13, 2007.

1. houdans

houdans New Egg

Oct 13, 2007
    [​IMG] This is my first time raising baby chicks. I bought a batch of 6 Houdans which turned out to be 7 because of a miss count or the breeder threw in an extra for good measure. Anyway they were 2 days old when I first got them and now their 3-1/2 weeks old. They grow like weeds! I started a web page for my photos and I've taken some still's and movies of them. You can see them at this link.

http://www.mikesgeorgiahomes.com/images/houdans.htm

Send me some feedback, I will keep taking more photos about once each week as they mature. Right now I have them in Rio Rancho, NM. But I plan on moving to Georgia in the next month or so and have to figure out how best to transport them. I'm moving myself in a Uhaul, pulling a trailer w/car. Anyone ever done that before with chickens? Do they allow you to transport chicks across state lines? The trip is going to take about 2.5 days. What about shipping them? I assume USPS allows them to ship since the breeder shipped them to a feed store here where I bought them.

Thanks, Mike

2. Mac

Mac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    South Central PA
    Great looking birds Mike! Sweet movie of them in the sun.

Good luck on the drive. Never have transported chickens before, but at least it isn't so hot this time of year for some of the trip anyway.

Mac

3. TurtleChick

TurtleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Tacoma, WA
    they are toooo cute! i've never seen a houdan - they're gorgeous! now i'm gonna have to go and google them. jeez. thanks! now i'm going to be sitting here at my computer for an EXTRA half hour looking at chickens pictures!!!

[​IMG]

4. dragonlili

dragonlili Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2007
    N Middle TN
    Nice chicks, Mike.

As for your trip, although I've never gone that far, I think you need to bring them with you, stop and talk to them, and make sure there is plenty of water. I think they are young enough, just as long as they're kept warm and you can stop and check on them, they'll be ok. USPS has certain rules about transporting adult poultry which yours are not, but they are not day old chicks, either.

Good luck with the drive. Feel free to drop afew of those cuties my way when you pass!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2007
  5. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    Contact your your states animal health department to find out what you have to do to transport across state lines.
    Here in Texas, you have to have a health certificate & a negative Fowl Typhoid/Pullorum test.

I've not traveled very far with chickens, but I figure you would need to follow standard shipping rules.
    You will probably have to stop and water them. They will need fruit that contains a lot of water in the cage with them, like watermelon and grapes. They will also need to be fed, preferably having feed in cage with them for that long of a trip.

Jean

6. houdans

houdans New Egg

Oct 13, 2007
    Hey guys, thanks for all the great info on transporting chicks. The idea of putting fresh fruit in with them is a great idea to keep them hydrated. I planned on stopping every couple of hours and checking on them to make sure they had adaquate food and water. I didn't realize USPS had rules on the AGE of the birds they allow to ship. I just figured that if they shipped 2 day old baby chicks they would also ship 1 month old baby hens. I'll have to give them a call and make a decision to ship or just carry them with me for 3 days. If there is room under the seat in the truck cab I was going to try and make an enclosure that would keep them under the seat. The problem is I also have to bring my 3 yr old Cuchuahua with me and that is where he was going to stay. Don't know how he'll like sharing the space with 7 Houdans! But at least he can roam free and the Houdans will be in a box. It's getting a bit chilly here, how do these youngin's do outside when it's 45-55 degrees? I've been keeping them inside my garage at night and just putting them out during the days so far but I'd like to be able to just leave them out there if possible. Do you think maybe a 60w bulb in their sleeping box might be a good idea at night? I was thinking that since their is 7 of them they can snuggle up and keep each other warm. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by