Mikey's Sweet Potato Casserole

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by bigmike&nan, Feb 23, 2011.

1. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

Having JFD's Merlot Meatloaf, Jerry is a volunteer fireman in the Roseville, CA. area so my hat's off to him:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=172952

But I need a starch to serve with the meatloaf and am craving sweet potatoes. This is merely from what's in the cupboard and in the vegetable/fruit bowl. Will cook off when the meatloaf is half done.

Mis en Place:

3 large sweet potatoes, peeled, halved and cut into slices
    1 large navel orange, zested, peeled with a knife and cut into small chunks
    1 large onion, chopped
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    3 oz. Jack Daniels
    1/2 Tsp Chinese Five Spice Powder
    Salt and Pepper
    1/2 stick butter cut into little dots

Preparation:

Place the sweet potatoes, orange zest, orange chunks, onions and season with salt and pepper abd toss. Now add brown sugar, Jack Daniels, Chinese Five Spice powder and toss well.
    Pour into a Corning Ware round dish, dot with the butter and cover. Cook at 400 degrees about 45 minutes. It should be a lovely caramel delight. Remove from oven, let rest 10 minutes and then mash. WOW

(before baking)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  2. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Wow is right!
    That sounds great : 9

How about subbing butternut squash for the sweet potato?
    I have everything else (except the 5-Spice & Jack D) & a Big Ol' butternut waiting to get made into something...

3. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    not to hijack mikes thread (hope you don't mind)
    I toss Butternut with fresh herbs (lots of basil + sage, thyme, rosemary), olive oil, red pepper & Italian sausage then bake - AMAZING!!!

4. 2DogsFarm

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    katy:
    that's the kind of hijacking I can happily go along with!

Now I need to pick up some Italian turkey sausage........

5. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes Butternut squash peeled and cubed would work. So would curry powder in place of Chinese Five Spice. The orange zest and cut up segments are a must as it gives it this citrus thing that is amazing. If you had a little cheap brandy it would work great in place of the JD... Even a splash of chicken stock. You just want some liquid with flavor to help steam the sweet potatoes.

And as for thread jacks... Geez I believe I am the King of Threadjacks... no bad intentions meant, I just see things said and want to share my experiences when I feel they are germane.

6. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    me too, but some people really take offense [​IMG]
    I use hand made sweet Italian sausage with extra fennel seed - sometimes if I am out I be sure to add the fennel seed to the squash mix.

Mike, I see you use a lot of sweet potatoes, and really appreciate those recipes as I am trying to incorporate them into our meals more.

7. 2DogsFarm

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Katy - a giant {hug} for your butternut/sausage recipe.

Made it last night and OMG : 9------ <drool
    Soooooooooooooo good & easy.
    I added some onion and since I didn't have fresh herbs, I soaked dried in some olive oil along with a chopped clove of garlic.

Mike:
    I got some navel oranges & a big sweet potato so your recipe is next in the oven.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by