MIL borrowed my bator and blew up rotten duck eggs. Venting

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by skillswife, Jul 25, 2011.

1. skillswife

skillswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    SW Montana
    I have a cheap styrofoam little giant bator. MIL wanted to borrow it for duck eggs, assured she hatched before and that my trying to tell her how to run it was not necessary. So I just had to throw up my hands and say whatever. Well I couldn't even ask how things were going because I just had that gut feeling. Well sure enough a couple days ago she brought the bator back, she had exploded a huge hatch of duck eggs! Basically she just set them and forgot about them. OMGoodness I was furious. Of course dh won't let me make her buy me a new one! She apparently bleached everything but it still totally reeks like rotten eggs! Yep she will not be borrowing anything again and I am pretty sure I am just going to have to chuck the bator, and hopefully get the smell out of the egg turner! Some people! Anyhow, just had to vent!. And I hatched her very same duck eggs a couple months ago, with a 100% hatch rate at my house!Go figure!

2. KatieBugg

KatieBugg Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    Holts Summit, MO
    Man that SUCKS! Before you chuck it out, make a baking soda paste and smear it all over the inside and let it set like that for several days.

3. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

after the baking soda .. rinse it and them wipe it down with lemon juice.. between the two it should remove most of the smell.. just make sure you fire it up afterwards to make sure it doesn't smell when warm

4. skillswife

skillswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    SW Montana
    Thanks for the advise, I will have to try that!

5. reereechickens

reereechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    Reidsville, NC
    That really sucks![​IMG] I hate stupid know-it-alls. [​IMG] There I said it for you![​IMG]

6. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Maybe some activated charcol,like what you get for fish tanks,would absorb the smell. I would hope she gifts you a new one soon. I know I would buy if I ruined a loaner.

7. aarronh

aarronh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Meadville, PA
    This may sound a little wrong to some folks, but when I used Styrofoam units, I put the trays in my dishwasher and filled the detergent spaces with bleach...

8. loopy119

loopy119 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2009
    Dayton, TX
    Your turner should be dishwasher safe (minus the motor). My LG turner instructions say mine is. Good luck with getting your bator to smell alright again. [​IMG] I really like my LG.

9. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I always fill the trays with water and add bleach and let it set (running) for a day or so.

10. okiedrifter

okiedrifter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    The sun works in ways we cant...if you have some lemon juice put it in a spray bottle with some water spray it in both top and bottom and put it out in the sun for a couple of hours....rinse very well and let it sit out for a couple more this should take care of it.....if it doesnt feed your MIL to the nearest catfish pond take her insurance money and get you a good cabinet incubator....all kidding aside I have a cabinet model and in the many years I have had it have had several bombs go off....lemon juice and sun seems to work the best along with a bit of time.....Jane

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by