MIL rant

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Amanda0609, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Amanda0609

Amanda0609 Songster

Mar 22, 2010
    For the most part I love my MIL, she is a bit out there but she truely loves us and would do most anything for our family. Her dog recently died and she is having a hard time admitting it was because she didn't take good care of him. She loved him to death, literally. He was so obese it was sad. Well my 4yo was with her the other day and she ran into a friend. She told them the dog was poisoned, not true and my son over heard the whole thing. He asks about it and she tells him a bad person made the dog die!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] The dog was half st bernard, 9 years old and probably at least 30lbs overweight, his liver failed. The vet that treated him said nothing about poision and this dog was never out of her sight for more than 2 minutes. She is trying to blame the neighbor. At any rate she had no business telling a 4yo that a bad person made the dog die. My DS is now worried that some bad person is going to hurt our 2 dogs. He has spent a good portion of the week watching out the back door to make sure they are ok. We are going out of town tomorrow and I think he will be sick with worry all day. He is already worried because earlier this summer our 3rd dog ran away. Several times during the day he checks to make sure the dogs are in the back yard. He has panicked more than once when they were some where he coudn't see them or they were in their kennels. Why would anyone say such a thing to a child that is already very sensitive? I asked her and all I got was a half hearted sorry. I just want to [​IMG] her.

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress 9 Years

Now that's just stupid. And I agree, [​IMG]!! Your poor little guy. Some people just don't know when to keep their mouths shut! [​IMG]

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    [​IMG] to your MIL!

[​IMG] to DS! Let him know things do happen to old dogs...9 years old for a St Bernard is OLD and his liver probably was failing for some time.

4. What a thoughtless thing to do!!! I love that commercial by Chef-Boy-Ar-Dee where the dad and the supermarket sample lady is trying to tell the mom that CHAR now has a full serving of vegetables in every serving/can and she shushes them. Not the same thing, but same concept. I have said for years that we talk wayyyyyyyyy too much in front of our kids. I am so careful what i say and I don't mind telling someone else to SHUSH if I think its going the wrong way for my 9 year old. Usually the look on my face says it all. I know you weren't there, but wish I had a suggestion for you about how to tell your little guy not to worry. . .maybe that old standby where you spray your kids room with room freshner wrapped in "monster spray" and you put "Dog Protection Spray" on it and spray the yard?

5. Amanda0609

Amanda0609 Songster

Mar 22, 2010
    Thanks for the responses. I might try some dog protecter spray, he would love that. Its so frustrating to let someone spend time with your kids thinking they are being as well cared for as when they are with you and then you find out that's not always the case. My DH called his mother and chewed on her backside and told her she needs to think further than 2 steps ahead of herself. I hate to keep my kids from her but I don't know what else to do. This isn't the first time she has said something stupid in front of him or done something with him we don't approve of. We have talked to her numerous times and she does ok for a while and then does something silly. I feel like I am talking to a little kid when I am dealing with her. [​IMG]

6. My MIL was the same way; favored DH's sisters kids over ours, which didn't bother me, but she TOLD our kids she didn't have enough money to buy them anything on vacation, she could only buy the other two girls something. I could have simply beat the tar out of her for that. Luckily, our kids are very well rounded and secure (or they were at that time! Might be up for debate here and there after that! [​IMG]) and my mom was the extreme opposite. If one didn't get it, no one did . . .aren't families great?

7. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Songster

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    This sounds bad and maybe its not the best solution but my kids have an Auntie who is this way and they know to talk to mommy about what she says before they believe it. She is not mean spirited or anything like that. She just forgets to turn her brain on in the morning. She is over 50( much older than me thank you ) so what can I do. I told them that Auntie is just a bit silly sometimes and isn't always right like mommy is. They seemed to understand. I guess I had to correct her verbal miss steps so many times they were already catching on anyway.

Examples of how bad this was I had my son ask me why the man next door married a fat cow and can people and cows really marry. I was not a happy camper and she was not either after we had a long talk. The talking never lasts though. Accept her for how she is and guard as best you can. Just let him know that grandma was upset and that her doggie was old and got sick. Since grandma was so upset though she said some things she did not really mean. It wasn't right but since grandma was so upset we understand. No one really poisened the doggie but we should give grandma hugs and help her get over her doggie dying.

8. WingingIt

WingingIt Songster

Apr 16, 2009
    I was going to suggest something along the same lines of what HeatherLynn did. My children are around my husband's grandmother a lot as we're the only family she has left (outlived the others). She's got some age stuff going on but she's also got some stupid ideas about how the world works and should work stuff going on. We've told the kids that she's older and sometimes when you get older your medications can make you get confused, so when she tells you something that doesn't sound right (or you flat out KNOW isn't right) just leave it alone and don't argue or question it. Just come ask Mom and Dad and we'll tell you what the truth really is.

9. Amanda0609

Amanda0609 Songster

Mar 22, 2010
    I am trying that with him. Problem is DS is only 4 and grandma happens to be his favorite person. I had a nice long talk with him about why the dog died and told him our dogs are fine. He said he understood and seemed a little better after his nap and our talk. I told him grandma is silly and sometimes makes up stories so not everything she says is real. Hopefully it works. Thanks again for all the advice, also glad to know I'm not alone in this battle. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: