mild case of bumblefoot on hen,what to do???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ruby Mia, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Ruby Mia

Ruby Mia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2013
    England
    recently today i spotted a black scab on one of my x- battery hens foot which looks like bumblefoot. her foot isn't swollen and she isn't limping, so i don't think it's too bad at the moment. as its mild, do we just pick the skab of or cut the scab of or do the whole surgery. i read somewhere that if it's mild then you just remove the scab and put vetericyn spray on it a couple of times a day. what do you suggest ii do? here are some pics;

[​IMG]bottom of her foot.

[​IMG]top of her foot.

2. cblaese

cblaese Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2013
    Oh my that is bumblefoot... I just had to do that surgery yesterday on my chicks foot... I am not sure how you go to my posts about my chicken cho cho.. but these lovely ladies gave me instructions and a video too... ya have to cut around that scab and than it looks like a corn kernel that you actually pull out of foot.... :( I am hopin I got it all out yesterday. She is bandaged and up and movin today... there are video to help you with the surgery...good luck but I do know it started like that and than her toes and foot just swelled up.. she was startin to just sit around so I knew I had to do something... but that is exactly what bumblefoot looks like :( and I wish you luck w your chick :)

3. cblaese

Jul 30, 2013
    When you go to remove the scab you will see it is actually attached to the scab underneath it... :)

4. Ruby Mia

Feb 6, 2013
    England
    Thank you so much for the help! [​IMG]

5. cblaese

Jul 30, 2013
    Let me know how chick is... tomorrow I take her bandage off and hope it looks like its healin.. :) .. did ya find some of the videos..some are very graphic.. ya don't need to make a huge cut around the scab but ya need to go around it in order to tug out the core/plug that's behind the scab..it does bleed :( but that helps push out infection... good luck I hope ya chicks ok...

6. Ruby Mia

Feb 6, 2013
    England
    hope your chick is getting better! we will be doing the surgery hopefully tomorrow as we dont have all the equipment for it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by