Mild Cross Beak, HELP!!! (PICS PG. 2) *UPDATE*

Sorry your little ones arent doing well. Dont feel bad for either wanting to try to give them a good life or to cull them. Its a hard choice either way because im sure each cross beak is different. I too feel I should have culled when I first noticed my fear is she will slowly starve to death and that would be on me. My chick is going on 4 weeks old she is still active and has a happy little peep she sounds like a happy cricket. Though I only ever see her at the feeders. She is in with 3 others her same age, another EE and 2 silkies and sadly she is about the same size but probably even smaller then the silikes. She is so tiny but so sweet and so cute. I keep hoping she will make it but everyday I get the urge just to get the job done. Its a tough decision. DO you have new pics of yours?

I'll get new pictures of them today, one is really tiny like yours and the other is the same size as the others, they aren't nearly as friendly as the others since they know they are different, they get run over, when I pick them up the melt into my hand and fall asleep as if its te only rest they get or they are asking me for help...

I'm so sorry. What a tough decision. If you really think they're in pain, ending it is probably the most humane thing to do.
hugs.gif
Since you are caring for them and obviously are so connected to them I think you'll make the right choice, whatever it is.

how much water and cell salts do you mix together.our 1 week old chick has this and were gonna try it. we found the salts at gnc.14.99 for each bottle.i have high hopes.weve already lost one to this last year

tclews from a different tread cross-beaked thread said this..."I'm so glad to have seen your post because this happened to our one of our sweet chickens last year and she eventually died from starvation. Unfortunately, I didn't start researching it until it was too late, but found out that it is very easy to fix this problem. The problem is actually in your chicken's jaw and if you start giving her Calc/Phos and Bioplasma (cell salts available at your local natural foods store) the jaw will grow normally and she will have a normal beak. It was incredibly sad to see our sweet chick slowly die. We thought she was growing normally, but soon discovered that her crop was empty and the reason she was following us around all the time was because she eventually couldn't get any food.

I found out about the cell salts from a wildlife rescuer (she saves hawks, deer, etc.). She was very disappointed to hear I had waited until our chicken was six months old to call her. If I, like you, had started giving her cell salts early on, she would have been fine.

You can dissolve the cell salts in the chicken water. It is good for the other chicks too."

Hi! How much calcium/phosphorous and cell salts do you add to the water for the baby chicks?

Last edited:
This is pretty old, but i would like to know if the little guy/girl is still alive, and if so how are they doing? Can i see pics? You have to catch it super quick i guess to correct it and when they are first born it is really hard to tell. We had two chicks with this problem, we love our chickens and couldnt possibly kill them, but its sooo hard to see them go through theyre short lives like that. Especially since in the second case, the little guy was hatched out of our very first hatch. That hatch wasnt very lucky, we ended up getting a cute little cross-beak and wobbly deformed chick who had a foot that was sidways making it impossible to walk
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom