mild early molt or sick hen?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CheriK, Dec 11, 2012.

1. CheriK

CheriK Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2012
    Northern California
    We have 4 backyard hens that were hatched in late Feb/early March. So our Ameraucana hen stopped laying around 4-5 weeks ago. Up until then, she was our best layer (other hens are Orpingtons & a Rhode Island - go figure). No particular reason I can figure why she stopped laying, but we have just been keeping an eye on her & waiting to see what happened. She's looked like she's losing a few more feathers than the others, but my husband (who doesn't see them during the day as much as I do) noticed today that she really looks unkempt. She is eating normally, as far as I can tell all the poops I'm seeing look normal. But she is clearly skinnier than she has been in the past. And we noticed today one of the other hens pushing her away from some treats; in the past she's been our dominant hen. I didn't expect molting or too much of a laying slowdown this first winter, so I'm stumped. Could she be having an early, light molt, or does it sound like she's sick?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    A molt is a very likely possibility. Watch her closely in case it is something more serious. As long as she is eating and acting normally, I would not be too concerned.

3. CheriK

CheriK Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2012
    Northern California
    Just updating for others searching threads. She was molting. All of our girls had mild-moderate molts & took the whole darn winter off laying. So much for getting eggs this winter!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by