Mild or Severe Prolapse? *Graphic Images*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RanchoDelPolloLoco, Sep 22, 2011.

1. RanchoDelPolloLoco

RanchoDelPolloLoco Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Hi,

I was just looking for a little advice on my 22 week old Rhode Island Red. She has been happy and healthy, we raised her from a chick. She started laying small sized eggs (1 1/8oz) at just over 21 weeks and I noticed on Tue evening that her behind was covered in droppings and upon further investigation she had a prolapse [​IMG] I have a total of 18 chickens ranging from 1 week to 22 weeks. She is my oldest and first egg layer so I don't have any prior experience. I did a lot of research online and cleaned the area, applied vaseline and pushed it back in. The next morning at 6am it was hanging out again so I repeated the steps from the day before, this time using honey. The problem I have been having is that the prolapse just flops back out again, it is like her vent has no strength to hold it in. I have read that mild cases can be healed but I don't know what is classed as mild or severe? This prolapse would be the size of a large egg, it is healthy looking tissue, red and soft, no scabs or dead areas. Her behavior is pretty normal, she eats and drinks but seems a little slower than the rest of the chickens right now. She is boss lady, nobody is pecking her and she is keeping herself to herself, I have read about the dark box and minimum feed to stop laying but laying isn't the problem, this prolapse just pushes back out when she breathes. My husband thinks we should cull her [​IMG] but I would like to give her a few days to see if we can fix her. Any advise would be greatly appreciated, has anybody had any experience using a bandage to hold it in? I love and care for my chickens but do not want to start taking them to the vet because if I do it for one I will have to do it for them all [​IMG]

Thanks so much, Jayne.

*For some reason I am unable to upload more photo's to the site (not over my max %) but will try and add some later*

[​IMG]

2. RanchoDelPolloLoco

Aug 2, 2011
    I just went outside, armed with sugar water (to clean and shrink?) and vaseline. I pushed the prolapse in and held her still for 15-20 mins. I could see her contracting her muscles, I was hoping things were moving back into place. I let her go, she pooped, it all came back out again, argh! [​IMG] My heart sank. Fearing nothing to lose I pushed them in again, this time actually pushing them in (carefully of course) a little further than before. I almost immediately felt an egg, ugh, looks like she will be laying today and it will all come out again. Any suggestions? Pweese!

3. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
  4. RanchoDelPolloLoco

Aug 2, 2011
    Quote:Thanks so much for the reply and the link, I really appreciate it. I have read a lot of old posts on BYC and find a lot of information but no follow up. I don't know if these chicks ever make it and if this is a severe case or not. If anybody has had a prolapse this bad and their chick has recovered I would LOVE to know.

Thanks again.

5. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    I am dealing with a sick girl, have been for a month haven't figured out what's going on with her...a few days ago she had a prolapsed vent and then laid 2 yellow "blobs" I have done a lot of searching and reading here...have gotten some responses but nothing has helped significantly-Yet she's still hanging in there!

Hope you have more luck with your sick chicken!

6. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Does she have an egg stuck in there? If so you need to bath and lubricate. If not, try pushing in again, sort of working around inside so everything is where it should be. Repeat. If that doesn't work, put Preparation H on it for several days.

7. RanchoDelPolloLoco

Aug 2, 2011
    Quote:Thank you, and good luck with yours too! The things we do for these chickens huh [​IMG]

8. RanchoDelPolloLoco

Aug 2, 2011
    Quote:Thank you. She has been laying everyday but the egg I felt today is still in there... she usually lays before 12 noon so now I am worried that maybe in addition to everything else she has an egg stuck. It felt pretty roomy up there so I have no idea [​IMG] I am going to sit her in some warm water this evening and try and fix everything up. I can but try! [​IMG]

9. mrpekinduck

mrpekinduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    Good luck with your hens everybody. Hope they all turn out alright I'll keep my fingers crossed for you all [​IMG]

10. RanchoDelPolloLoco

Aug 2, 2011
    Quote:Thank you. I will let everybody know the outcome.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by