Mild, reoccurring coccidiosis?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jjdesmo11, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Jjdesmo11

Jjdesmo11 Songster

Jun 1, 2017
    Tennessee
    Can a chick have mild coccidiosis symptoms and reoccurring bloody stool?
    Can not finishing oral dose x3 days cause reaccurrances of bloody stool?

Do I have to keep them separate to keep the rest of the flock healthy?

Hi, I have a juvenile flock of 8 and Im finding reoccurring bloody poop. The two I suspect are 3 months old. Still eating, full crops, scratching and preening. So I wouldn’t say lethargic. They just aren’t fiesty as the others when I hold them and aren’t gaining weight like I think they should. I noticed the poop and behavior a few weeks ago and orally dosed them (x2 days) and added corid to the water for 5 days but i didn’t orally dose after day 2 because the blood was gone and they were perked up. I have grown flock that free ranges and had excess to the day run I let them in I also assumed that was to blame.
    Fast forward to 4 days ago and I got them in a new big coop with a large run and now blood again. I decided to pull them both out this time and put in a small prefab coop away from the free rangers and other chickens. Orally dosed both and added corid to their water and existing flock. They are acting better but I hate to keep them separate. Is it necessary to keep them separate for the full 5 days? Anyone else’s with mild coccidiosis symptoms? My only other experience with coccidiosis was my cockerel who I revived from the brink of death when he was 2 months old. It hit him hard in 3 days and he stopped eating/ drinking. Maybe I just caught this early? I have 2 younger chicks that are 8 weeks old I’m mostly worried about. All the others are older. Thanks for the insight and help!

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Crossing the Road

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Photos of the poop?
    What dosage of Corid are you using?

Give them a full 7 days of the outbreak dosage of 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder or
    2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon of water.

chickens really likes this.
  3. Jjdesmo11

Jjdesmo11 Songster

Jun 1, 2017
    Tennessee
    I’m giving liquid corid 0.1 ml per lb ( so about 0.2ml)
    7 days orally or in water?
    This pic is this morning before work. Yesterday it was like cranberry juice

Attached Files:

4. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Also treat the entire flock.

Jjdesmo11 likes this.
  5. coach723

coach723 Crowing

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    You can give the oral dose for up to three days. The treated water is 7 days.
    I would do the full 7 days, and then follow up with the second 7 days at the reduced dose, severe dosing in the chart below.
    If after this amount of time you still see symptoms then you may need to switch to another treatment of a sulfa drug (prescription) or tolturazuril as you could have a strain resistant to amprolium (corid). https://www.allthingsbunnies.com/Toltrazuril-5-Suspension-for-Coccidiosis-p/med132.htm
    It sounds like you moved them to new ground again after the first treatment? Anytime you move them to new ground there is the chance of exposing them to a new strain, so not sure if that happened, or they just weren't recovered from the first time.
    I would personally not separate them, I would just treat the whole flock.
    900x900px-LL-a380cae7_Untitled.jpeg

casportpony and Jjdesmo11 like this.
  6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Crossing the Road

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    It sounds like you have only been giving 1 direct dose of Corid daily?

This is what you need to do - mix 2 teaspoons of Corid liquid in 1 gallon of water. Use this in your water stations for 7 days in a row (mix a fresh batch each day). This should be the only source of drinking water for the chickens you are treating.

IN ADDITION to the Corid water, you can direct dose the one that you are concerned about at .10ml per pound of weight for 3 days in a row.
    (You want your girl to have a direct dose, plus be drinking the Corid water. )

Don't offer her any poultry vitamins, electrolytes or any other supplements until you finish the course of Corid.

See that she is eating well and encourage her to drink.
    Keep us posted.

casportpony and Jjdesmo11 like this.
  7. Jjdesmo11

Jjdesmo11 Songster

Jun 1, 2017
    Tennessee
    Thanks coach! Lots of helpful information, I am treating the whole flock in the water. 2 days ago I separated the two and orally dosed them and added to their water and no more blood in the poop! I did move the whole flock after first tx to ground that the adults free range on so they were probably exposed again. I didn’t even think of that. So I will give one more oral dose tonight and put the 2 back with the flock but continue to treat water and dump daily then continue extra 7 days. They were fiesty when trying to dose yesterday but still just calm/laid back compared to others. The rooster misses them (they cuddle and they are the only 3 that don’t roost) if they still are less active after the second 7 days I’ll look into another sulfa drug (would like to have another on hand in my med box)

Also thanks wyrop rock! I have been doing that. I plan to put them with the others tonight after work.

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  8. Jjdesmo11

Jjdesmo11 Songster

Jun 1, 2017
    Tennessee
    32F54EFD-4812-43FC-8247-C06A0105A5FC.jpeg CEDE437B-0D9E-4950-A806-4D0EA81BDF53.jpeg Checking back in on day 6 of high dose in water and I’m still pretty concerned about her. No bloody poop initially for first 5 days. Now last 2 days blood. She’s eating, not seeing much drinking but I started giving fermented food. Does that affect the mechanism of the corid? What is another sulfa drug I can try if she isn’t making progress, other options. Did her and all the others a once over looking for mites/lice and checked vents. Her (Georgia) and my roo ( Rudy) have a wet butt but no caked poop. Ironically all the other birds learned to use the roost but those two. Roo acting normal though, not sure if there is a correlation.

9. Jjdesmo11

Jjdesmo11 Songster

Jun 1, 2017
    Tennessee

She is the orange one in the front right. She still eats, acts normal just drowsy

10. Jjdesmo11

Jjdesmo11 Songster

Jun 1, 2017
    Tennessee
    then this

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: