mild splay leg in 5 week old chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HR Patterson, May 13, 2008.

1. HR Patterson

HR Patterson Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Gravity, PA
    I just got some new chicks and discovered one has mild splay leg. He is a bantam cochin, about 5 weeks old, and gets around but he waddles. Do you think it has a chance of being corrected with the hobble method?

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    If it is mild, absolutely! You need to get it hobbled ASAP so the bones don't have the chance to grow splayed.

3. HR Patterson

Feb 10, 2008
    Gravity, PA
    Okay; not sure how I'll do it, with the feathered legs and all. I think I'll try my daughter's pony tail tie for a couple of days, then maybe cut a sponge. The make-up sponge is too small, so I've got to get a cleaning sponge. Wondering how I'll get his feet in the holes. Wish me luck!

4. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

How s your chick doing? I have a 5 weeker that is wobbling too. Mine must also be a mild splay. I have been watching her for a week and it is not getting better. I have tried the sponge and the hobble but she can't get around with them. I must not be doing it correctly.

5. HR Patterson

Feb 10, 2008
    Gravity, PA
    Sorry I didn't see this sooner.

He is a she and she's doing great, thanks for asking! At first, I didn't think it would work. We used our daughter's ponytail ties and they seemed to slip a bit. We finally "gave up" after a few weeks and took them off. She hobbled around for a few days then seemed to adjust and walks just like the roo does now. I hope yours turned out well, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by