mild winter in upstate ny..what is the best thing to be feeding my flock of 50

sarah41374

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 29, 2011
Like slot of the country.. we have had a very mild winter... No much snow..and the grass is still mostly. Green...I am currently. Feeding my flock cracked corn and layer crumbles..also so organic corn meal and tridicale... Also..since they have been free ranging and pasturing all winter how much do they need to eat...thanks..I am getting 24-35 eggs per day...51 total..47 layers

sounds like the same weather we are having here in N.C., our flock is getting the same ration as yours with the exception of adding 50%cracked corn,50%oats, and then adding this to layer crumbles and all of ours are doing fine, so i think you are on the right track, we've done this ration for about 50 years here on the farm, and it's worked so far, so i guess it will work for you also

We have also had a mild winter and our birds have had way more outside time than normal this winter.

As for the feed, I just cannot save a dime buying plain cracked corn or oats. So, I don't bother. I just feed the complete diet layer mash. I do "spice" it with re-constituted alfalfa pellets for greens. These are very cheap, go a super long way, and provide 16% protein and lots of color to the yolk. If I feed too much of the "other stuff" I gotta keep an eye on the calcium intake, however.

Back
Top Bottom