Mildew (white) in run on the dirt.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by samolah, Jul 14, 2019.

1. samolah

samolah In the Brooder

May 15, 2019
    This morning I found white fluffy looking mildew on the ground. I have read to use lime. how much and is the lime harmful to the chickens if they eat the pellets?

DobieLover likes this.
  2. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Can you post pictures of the mildew?
    Don't use lime pellets.
    The best thing to do is physically remove whatever mold/mildew you can see and dispose of it. Then bring in DRY soil from some other area of your yard. Aerating the area and getting it to dry will help too.
    Is the area getting any sun? Is it a low spot that is not draining and staying damp? Do you have any litter in the run?

BirdsBeesTrees likes this.
  3. samolah

samolah In the Brooder

May 15, 2019
    Sorry cant post a picture because I have already removed it. No I don’t have any litter in the coop. I rake up poo daily, there is shade in the area of the mildew.However we have had quite a bit of rain last week and the humidity is very high in the va beach area.

4. samolah

samolah In the Brooder

May 15, 2019
    The mildew looks very white and almost looks like a cloud from the sky laying on the dirt... however very very small spots, but I believe this is just the beginning of something bigger if I don’t get controlled now.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Probably mold.
    Post pics of your coop and run?
    Do you have bedding in your run?
    Does it hold water or drain well?

Oh, and....Welcome to BYC! @samolah
    Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
    It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
    upload_2019-7-14_12-0-47.png

slippednfell likes this.
  6. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Free Ranging

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    If I ever see anything that looks like mold (which isn't unusual if it's near a feeding spot, as food can drop into the litter or soil and mold from there) I just scrape it and remove as much as possible.

If you don't have any litter I'd suggest looking into the different options, it'll help with maintaining a clean and healthy environment for the chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: