1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mildred and Bumblefoot

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by newbyduckmom, Mar 4, 2012.

1. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    After a month of antibiotics (Baytril) and doing the surgery on her, Mildred was looking really good. I did notice a small spot on her foot yesterday. Actually, very small. I have been checking her daily since we started this. Today I noticed her sitting down a lot. Sure enough her foot was swollen and the scab had grown. So we did the surgery again. Afraid this is going end up with having to cull a duck and after treating her since Jan 7 and checking her out every day since, it's going to be really, really, really difficult if it comes to that. (It would be really, really, really difficult for me anyway).

The foot is swollen and there is a knot on the top of the foot as well. I am wondering if I should be cutting from the top as well? I honestly couldn't find anymore evidence of the cottage cheesy substance from below. And the top of the foot was much more sensitive when I was feeling the area. She was so good, but when I started probing the top of the foot she objected. .

Anyone have any advice as to the top of the foot issue?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I sure don't have any ideas, I am just so sorry this keeps coming back when it sounded so promising. I sure hope someone can advise you.

3. newbyduckmom

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Seriously disappointed. So is Mildred. She hates being confined away from her buddies. And my one drake is chasing and biting me this morning....I took one of his girls! I will make sure I keep the wound open longer and let it drain until all the swelling is down. Hopefully, that will make a difference. And she's in the quarantine pen until it is healed entirely. Last time I let her go out in the duck house during the day with a buddy. Indoor pen stays cleaner. I don't know. I can't believe the antibiotics didn't take care of it.'

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Do you also soak her foot? epsom salt water or did you ever get the vetericyn spray? The vetericyn is kinda pricey but It works real good. I hope this time with extra care and quarantine she'll make a full recovery. I know it has to be dishearting.

5. newbyduckmom

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    I soaked it before the surgery, but haven't been doing so after. I can do that though. Wasn't sure about soaking it with the open sore and salt. No didn't get the Vetericyn. It's just a little too pricey for the budget right now. :0(

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I don't think the epsom salt would hurt if you soaked it open, it is so good for healing, I'd soak at least once a day. that will help keep it clean too.

7. newbyduckmom

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    I soaked Mildred's foot last night and went to change the bandage only to find it was much worse. The top the foot had swelled substantially over night. She had another core on the top of the foot. After an hour plus of trying to get it cleaned out, I re-bandaged it. Not feeling very hopeful. Amazes me how it had changed over night. She is squawking at me this morning (I don't blame her for disliking me, I would too), but not eating other than peas. Really wishing I could just take her to the vet. :0(

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Do you think soaking could be drawing the pus up to the surface? I am so sorry now i feel i maybe had you go in the wrong direction, I do know that salty water is very good for healing. at least she is eating something.. was there alot of gunk in there? I know about the vet just wish they weren't so dog gone expensive. [​IMG]

9. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

Sometimes these things are so difficult!

Have you been putting triple antibiotic on the foot? I don't remember.

10. newbyduckmom

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Yes, I have been putting neosporin on it once a day. Now twice a day when I change the bandages. And per Miss Lydia's suggestion, she is getting Epsom Salts baths in warm water once a day to soak the foot.

Guess I have to go get new Vet wrap because for some reason it has quick sticking today and won't stay on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by