military career?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by arabookworm, Oct 1, 2009.

1. arabookworm

arabookworm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    so I've been thinking recently that I might want to have a career that is somehow involved in the military. but I have joint problems and am flatfooted, meaning that I would never get into the actual military, and either way I don't think I would want to. but I do want to support my country in some way.

so my question is this: does anyone know any careers that would work for me? I'm probably going to major in political science, psychology, communication, or a combination of 2 of these. (im a freshman, haven't decided yet)
    thanks

2. deb1

deb1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    NC
    My husband is flat footed and just retired from the military. My dad was flat footed also and he served time in Vietnam.

Talk to a recruiter anyway. You might still be able to join the military.

3. arabookworm

Oct 27, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I have other joint problems and have a lot of trouble running except very short distances, or walking for extended periods of time. and I can't run very fast at all. and there is a good chance I will develop arthritis in my 20s.

I don't think actual combat or anything like that would work out.

4. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    doesn't mean you can't be a combat engineer, or a computer tech, communications maven, or a corpsman. You don't have to be infantry to serve your country.

PS, logistics was my second career [​IMG] Non combat.

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    A lot of careers connected to the military are staffed by, run by and started by retired military. You will have a leg up if can manage to serve at least a 3 year stint.

My son is currently in the army. He wants to be a chef. He is a cook at Ft Riley. Good training.

A girl he grew up with wants to be a nurse. She joined the army for the free training. If she went the civilian route, it would have taken longer and cost her a small fortune.

Now if your physical issues really prevent you from joining (though flat feet aren't a problem. Seriously), get your degree in a high tech field and make sure you can get a high level security clearance.

6. arabookworm

Oct 27, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    what sorts of jobs do you guys think would be an option for me?

7. Boyd

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:[​IMG]

8. whitecra

whitecra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Quote:True but even then you still have PT test. My husband retired Army and you have to take a PT test once a year.
    Chris

9. Boyd

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    ya, everyone has a pt test, but it really isn't that bad

10. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    My feet are flat. I used to even have a club foot that was surgically fixed when I was 15 years old. The doctor said I would develop arthritis in may ankles and not be able to walk by the time I was 50. I joined the Marines. I wasn't a good runner, but they got me into shape, and I learned to run. It made my joints stronger. I'm 47 now, and I walk and run just fine. You don't know if they will reject or no until you go and try.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by