Military families

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by CochinBrahmaLover, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Yes, I'm in the military and have been for a while ( 3 + years)

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  2. Yes I'm in the military, I hevent been for long thou ( 3 - years)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. My husband is in the military and has been for 3 + years

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  4. My husband is in the military, he just joined (3- years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. My wife is in the military and has been for 3 + years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. My wife is in the military, she just joined ( 3- years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. I have a son or daughter in the military for 3+ years

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  8. I have a son or daughter in the military for 3- years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. I have a sibling in the military for 3 + years

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  10. I have a sibling in the military for 3 - years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. I have a cousin in the military for 3 + years

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  12. I have a cousin in the military for 3 - years

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  13. My mother or father is in the military for 3 + years

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  14. My mother or father is in the military for 3 - years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Retired

6 vote(s)
    28.6%
  16. Other (post)

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. So if your a military family member, weather its your mom or cousin or brother or what ever, post here for comfort. Everyones welcome, weather your here to support others or youre in the military yourself, COME HERE

I'm the child of a military father, hes been in the military for 11 years and wil retire in 20013, hes deployed right now..[​IMG]

(sorry if in wrong section)

2. pnptrapp

pnptrapp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    Sorento, IL
    My husband is currently enlisted, and I also served for 6 years. Both AF. I can understand how difficult it is when the member deploys! Soon though it sounds like he won't be doing that anymore! I'll keep you and your father in my thoughts and prayers!

3. Same here, for your husband

My dad is in Army, my mom actually would prefer hes in AF, they are more family friendly (right?) and Army so isnt, it sucks

We have to welcome home my 2 dad friends cause they have no one else too [​IMG] and they are both REALLY nice guys

4. pnptrapp

pnptrapp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    Sorento, IL
    I'm glad that you'll be there to welcome them home! They'll need it.

Compared to the Army I'd have to say the AF is more family friendly, but we also have a different mission which makes it easier for them to be that way. I have to admire anyone who can stick out the Army till retirement!

5. Yeah, they will be but still wish some one else would be able to great them

Yeah, its actually a funny story how my dad joined. My aunt joined and then my dad was like "WELL I CAN TOO!" and joined. my aunt left after while and my dad stayed cause i dunno

6. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    I am retired from the military, as is my partner.

Rusty

7. dfr1973

dfr1973 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Nov 20, 2011
    rural central FL
    I did 6 yrs in the Army; hubby is up to 10-ish now. I went to Iraq; Hubby has been to Kosovo, Korea, and Afghanistan. Speaking from my own experience, it really is harder to be the one at home than it is to be the deployed solider.

ETA: Current generation: Brother-in-law is also active duty army, and I had a cousin who was in but died in a freak car accident while going home to visit his pregnant wife. Previous generation: Father-in-law retired after 26 yrs, one of my uncles retired after 20 years, four other uncles served shorter time. Both my grandfathers and one grandmother served in WW2, at least one great-grandfather served during WW1.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You should add something for retired military. You may not know, but they can still be recalled for a certain length of time, even after retirement. [​IMG]

My husband is retired from the USAF, was in the National Guard before that. My adoptive father was in the Navy at Pearl Harbor, my adoptive mother was a Marine, my FIL in the AF, my biological father was a Marine. We married while he was still in the National Guard, about six months before he went active duty Air Force and have been together ever since, going on 37 years now.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  9. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    It made my vote wrong!!!! My husband is in the Army for 16 years now. HE also has a son in law that joined last year. We are about to move to Ft Knox.YAY x 100!!!!!!! this will be our last PCS before retiring in 2016. As much fun as it is going places , i am worn down now. Even this move scares me. I just want to go to sleep in this house and wake up in Ft Knox. I hate moving week.
    My husband was deployed several times thoughout his career, but now due to health reasons they wont let him anymore.

10. hispoptart

hispoptart Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    My sil is in the Navy, he is set to deploy to the coast of Iran in a few months. When they were there last year Iran fired warning missles at the ship. He missed the birth of his baby girl and didn't get to see her till she was almost 4 months old. He will now miss out on her first birthday. The long deployments are quite the strain on my dd. She is hundreds of miles from us and has a 6 month old and 5 yr old to care for. She came here to have her baby while he was deployed last time. I'm sure that she will come out this time also for a visit. She gets quite lonely when he is away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by