Military Macaw sounds sick...

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by texascowboy1979, Aug 6, 2010.

1. texascowboy1979

texascowboy1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

One of my military macaws sounds like she has a cold... what do I give her... please advise... and does it go in the food or water...

as of now, all I have is an antibiotic that goes in the water...

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Vet ASAP..
    Its not a good sign when a parrot sounds like they have a cold.
    In the mean time..keep her warm and draft free...

3. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

A trip to the avian vet is a priority - an I am not a big vet pusher - but parrots are just too touchie. Could be an allergy, something stuck in her nair or an infection or ?.

Anything added to the water is not going to be of concentration enough to help, nor any "pour on food" fix. She will probably need a 'script and then you will need to give daily directly into the beak (hopefully no shots are required).

Keep her stress level down, hydrated, and her comfortable until the visit.

Good luck to you both - it is scary when they become ill.

4. texascowboy1979

texascowboy1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

ok... heres the next problem... how do I catch her.. She is in a breeder pen. She is not too friendly...

Belive it or not, I dont have a pair of gloves for them... so what type or brand do you recommend.

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I would try to toss a towel over her head and wrap her in it and then put her in the transfer cage right away... (dont smother her though/.)
    I wouldnt need gloves... You may only loose a finger or 2.. sissy! [​IMG]
    You could also maybe use a net or netting of some kind..? The towel is what i would do though.... netting is dangerous for the birds sometimes.
    The thing is.. you dont want to stress her anymore than necessary right now.. but she needs a vet..
    Think a vet would come to you?? Some do...

Okay.. this is how i grab a fiesty parrot with a towel...
    Get a BIG thick towel... double it..if necessary....
    Drape the towel over both of your hands..(so your hands are under the towel..).. then reach inside the cage and put the towel over the birds head and body... and pull the bird out of the cage (with the towel still over its head..) and place the parrot inside its carry cage right away and let the bird calm down.
    Ya gotta learn how to handle her now... because if she needs meds.. you'll be taking her out daily to give them to her...
    Have the vet SHOW you the best way to handle her. to give her the meds.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by