MILITARY PAY - Shirley you Jest!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Davaroo, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    It has been mistakenly reported that Cindy Williams, of 'LaVerne and Shirley' fame, wrote an aritcle to the Washington Post denouncing a pay raise for the mililtary. So let us set this one straight right off - SHE DID NOT.
    But another Cindy Williams, academic elitist and senior research fellow at M.I.T., DID. The following rebuttal, while mistakenly directed, hits home pretty hard nonetheless.

"On Nov. 12, Ms Cindy Williams (from Laverne and Shirley TV show)...

[[Remember, he was mistaken here. Do not contact Ms. Williams, the actress, to complain. DO contact Ms. Williams, the elitist scientist, however and complain loudly [​IMG] ]]

... wrote a piece for the Washington Times, denouncing the pay raise(s) coming service members' way this year -- citing that the stated 13% wage increase was more than they deserve. A young airman from Hill AFB responds to her article below. He ought to get a bonus for this..
    ===============================================

Ms Williams:
    I just had the pleasure of reading your column, "Our GIs Earn Enough" and I am a bit confused. Frankly, I'm wondering where this vaunted overpayment is going, because as far as I can tell, it disappears every month between DFAS (The Defense Finance and Accounting Service) and my bank account. Checking my latest earnings statement I see that I make $1,117.80 before taxes. After taxes, I take home $874.20. When I run that through the calculator, I come up with an annual salary of $13,413.60 before taxes, and $10,490.40, after.

I work in the Air Force Network Control Center where I am part of the team responsible for a 5,000 host computer network. I am involved with infrastructure segments, specifically with Cisco Systems equipment. A quick check under jobs for Network Technicians in the Washington, D.C. area reveals a position in my career field, requiring three years experience with my job.

Amazingly, this job does NOT pay $13,413..60 a year. No, this job is being offered at $70,000 to $80,000 per annum. I'm sure you can draw the obvious conclusions.

Given the tenor of your column (he used the word "tenor"! I love it! - - David), I would assume that you NEVER had the pleasure of serving your country in her armed forces. Before you take it upon yourself to once more castigate congressional and DOD leadership for attempting to get the families in the military's lowest pay brackets off of WIC and food stamps, I suggest that you join a group of deploying soldiers headed for AFGHANISTAN; I leave the choice of service branch up to you.

Whatever choice you make, though, opt for the SIX month rotation: it will guarantee you the longest possible time away from your family and friends, thus giving you full "deployment experience." As your group prepares to board the plane, make sure to note the spouses and children who are saying good-bye to their loved ones. Also take care to note that several families are still unsure of how they'll be able to make ends meet while the primary breadwinner is gone - obviously they've been squandering the "vast" piles of cash the government has been giving them.

Oh, and try to deploy over a major holiday; Christmas and Thanksgiving are perennial favorites.

And when you're actually over there, sitting in a foxhole, shivering against the cold desert night; and the flight sergeant tells you that there aren't enough people to relieve you for chow, remember this: trade whatever funky ration MRE (meal-ready-to-eat) you manage to get for the tuna noodle casserole or cheese tortellini - and add Tabasco to everything. This gives some flavor.

Talk to your loved ones as often as you are permitted; it won't nearly be long enough or often enough, but take what you can get and be thankful for it.

You may have picked up on the fact that I disagree with most of the points you present in your opened piece. But, tomorrow from KABUL, I will defend to the death your right to say it. You see, I am an American fighting man, a guarantor of your First Amendment rights and every other right you cherish. On a daily basis, my brother and sister soldiers worldwide ensure that you and people like you can thumb your collective nose at us, all on a salary that is nothing short of pitiful and under conditions that would make most people cringe. We hemorrhage our best and brightest into the private sector because we can't offer the stability and pay of civilian companies.

And you, Ms. Williams, have the gall to say that we make more than we deserve? Rubbish!

A1C Michael Bragg Hill AFB AFNCC"

===================================================================

Personally, Im at a loss to understand why Americans on active duty military service pay taxes at all.... but I guess that's another matter, altogether.

For the whole story, visit snopes.com (which you should do ALWAYS, when "information" from the net comes across your screen):
    http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/gipay.asp

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  2. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    I didnt serve. I wish I had. I even have the lamest reason of all for not serving. I didnt want to cut my hair. Stupid huh? I do support them all that I can now, we do benifits at VFW's and the like during our BBQ Competition circuit.

That is a bit weird that Service Men pay taxes while in service.

3. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:Ditto for miltary retirees - I've always wondered about that, too. They spend 20 or more years in service to their country, post date a check for that long made payable with their life if needs be... and they can't get a break on taxes?

My dad retired from the Marines after 27 years, won the Purple Heart and other awards of valor in Korea - and he's on the hook to the IRS for $7,000. Meanwhile, we bail out financial rascals that have bilked us all.

Somehow it dont seem right, you know?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  4. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Most can get state aid like foodstamps,that tells you how much they make...
    Growing up as a army brat I for one know they dont get enough pay unless your an officer,the enlist guys allways get short changed.

5. Three_Blessings

Three_Blessings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Barry county, Michigan
    That was awesome!! Thanks for sharing!!!

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

As a wife who served by her Air Force husband's side for 20 years, watched when he hurt his back, saw the stress he was under, the politics he had to endure, and is now living on a piddly retirement while paying for medical insurance we were not supposed to have to pay (yes, they used to guarantee free medical for life), watched when they arbitrarily reduced his disability from 20% to 10%, you know what side I'm on. Who charges into gunfire, tests the shelf life of old munitions as my DH did and is ever paid enough?? Oh, I never too WIC or foodstamps, though I was entitled at one time.

All that said, let's please not turn this into a problem thread, folks, okay? [​IMG]

7. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:Not my intent, Cyn, and you have just illustrated why it is very pertinent. Thanks.

8. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

Quote:What she said! and AMEN!!! Free medical for life indeed [​IMG]

9. LittlenRedHen782

LittlenRedHen782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    South Jordan UT
    As a vetrian of the Marine Corps all I can say is thank you to all of you who support our military, it means more to me than I can put into words. [​IMG]

10. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

That guy deserves a medal for sticking up for all that who serve or have served. We were told that my husband would be taken care of since they ruined both his lungs, not hardly , but at least we get something....... It is a shame our soldiers get treated so poorly. i'd like that woman to try to live on what we get a month ......... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by