milk crate big enough?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by werecatrising, Oct 11, 2009.

1. werecatrising

werecatrising Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2009
    California
    I am getting ready to scrounge up some stuff for nest boxes. I have some milk crates, but they look small. Are they really big enough?

2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    That's what I have in one of my pens, but mine are not laying yet, so I really can't tell you yet if they will like them or not. I am sure they are big enough.

3. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Mine like them. [​IMG]

4. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    My nestboxes are wooden 12x12 so I think a milk crate would be fine. My nephew uses them and his girls love them (they are sexlinks).

When we went on the poultry tour in the spring--they had lots of differnet ideas for nest 'boxes': there was a baby's bathtub, a large metal round 'dish' pan, plastic bins, dresser drawers, milk crates, drink crates set on plastic shelving.. they had shredded newspaper, shavings, wheat straw, hay, pine shavings for fillers..

We have a friend who uses an old cattle trough with hay in it... his girls love it as does his ducks.....

I say ---think out side the box..

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  5. Jen4

Jen4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    I have 3 in our coop and they use em... plenty of room. I have my setting on its side with a piece of wood screwed to the front at the bottom so they dont kick the bedding out. We have BO and RIRs and they use one of them everyday... I even had a broody BO have her nest of 11 eggs in one, worked great [​IMG]

6. werecatrising

werecatrising Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2009
    California
  7. Jen4

Jen4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    Those would work too [​IMG]

8. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    Milk crates are plenty big enough. My broad breasted choc turkey hen even lays her eggs in the crate. LOL

9. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Yeah they work pretty good, hens seem to like em well enough.

AL

10. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I have seen milk crates work fine.

I use a covered cat litter box and 5 gal buckets reclaimed from the Wal-Mart bakery with the lid cut in half for entry/exit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by