1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Milk Crate Nesting Boxes

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chicks rule, Aug 20, 2007.

1. chicks rule

chicks rule Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2007
    SW MO
    Is anyone using crates for nesting boxes and if so could you Plz post a pic of them installed??? THX

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I don't install mine, I just fill with straw and sit one on the floor, open side up, out of the way of coop traffic. Some like them alot, especially in the heat.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2007
  3. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    I have some pics. My husband put a brace behind them to screw it to. These are two crates combined. The reason they are combined is because another crate we have is a little bigger and they were fighting over the bigger one. It is working out really good now though. We have two mounted up off the floor and one on the ground for now. The one on the ground is for two barred rocks that injured there foot.

hope these pics help!

[​IMG]
    you can see this pic, a black star is waiting her turn. because the other ones are occupied. i have enough coops per hen but they some how on some days decide to hurry up and lay all around the same time!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2007
  4. chicks rule

chicks rule Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2007
    SW MO
    Thx Speckled Hen, I had mine on the floor and they were using them for other things, lol

Wendy, THX for the pics, I think that is what I want to do, get them up off the floor some to discourage them from using them for a potty, LOL

5. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    your welcome, let me know how it works out [​IMG] best of luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by