Milk Diet

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by PaulaJoAnne, May 27, 2010.

1. PaulaJoAnne

PaulaJoAnne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Whole Milk versus Whole Milk per quart

Pasturized/fortified/grain fed Raw/Grassfed
    Vitamin A 273.3 mcg Vitamin A 375mcg
    Vitamin A 995.5 mcg (synthetic)
    Vitamin B6 0.35 mg Vitamin B6 470 mcg
    Vitamin B12 4.3 mcg Vitamin B12 4.25 mcg
    Vitamin C 0.0 mg Vitamin C 19 mg
    Vitamin D 9.8 mcg Vitamin D .94 mcg
    Vitamin D 9.75 mcg (synthetic)
    Vitamin E 1.46 mcg Vitamin E 940 mcg
    Niacin 1.0 mg Niacin 850 mcg
    Pant. Acid 3.5 mg Pant. Acid 3.3 mg
    Biotin 0.0 mcg Biotin 33 mcg
    Folic Acid 0.0 mcg Folic Acid 52.mcg
    Sodium 390.4 mg Sodium 330-850 mg
    Potassium 1,395.7 mg Potassium 1,040-1,600 mg
    Calcium 1,102.9 mg Calcium 1040-1225 mg
    Magnesium 97.6 mg Magnesium 85-130 mg
    Manganese 0.029 mg Manganese 19-47 mcg
    Phosphorus 888.2 mg Phosphorus 850-940 mg
    Iron 0.29 mg Iron 280-570 mcg
    Selenium 36.1 mcg Selenium 4.7-63 mcg
    Zinc 3.9 mg Zinc 1880-5660 mcg

I am prepping to go on the Raw Milk Diet this summer.
    The above data shows the differences between grain fed pasturized milk, and grassfed raw milk.
    I find several of the differences to be rather striking. The one that is bolded is the most interesting to me.

Did you know that the Mayo Clinic used raw milk extensively 100 years ago, as a way to succesfully treat and cure patients ailments?
    Here are links to two other people that did/are doing this.
    http://180degreehealth.blogspot.com/2010/05/matt-and-masai-on-milk.html
    http://www.livingthenourishedlife.com/

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    We've had nothing but raw milk for the past five years and finally got our milk license to sell. Yes, I can believe that there's health in raw milk! Our state only allows a license under a "pet food" license but I will attest that raw milk is so good for us! There's another thread on value of raw milk, but I cannot seem to find it, when I do, I'll post it hear.

Have a blessed day! Nancy

3. PaulaJoAnne

Jul 30, 2009
    Quote:I think you are referring to my old raw milk thread.
    I am a strong champion of the real deal.

4. chicken_china_mom

chicken_china_mom Crazy for Cochins

Apr 24, 2009
    Tab, Indiana
    What is the taste difference? Is it a really big difference? I've never had raw milk, but the more I hear about it, the more interested I am. I can't have cows where I am (And wouldn't want to even if I could, too big for me!!!), so I wouldn't even know where to buy some. Is it more expensive? I would think it should actually be less because it doesn't have to go through the whole pasteurizing process.

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    There are mini cows [​IMG]

"For between £200 and £2,000, people can buy a cow that stands no taller than a large German shepherd dog, gives 16 pints of milk a day that can be drunk unpasteurised, keeps the grass “mown” and will be a family pet for years before ending up in the freezer.

The Dexter, a mountain breed from Ireland, is perfect for cattle-keeping on a small scale, but other breeds are being artificially created to compete with it, including the Mini-Hereford and the Lowline Angus, which has been developed by the Australian government to stand no more than 39in high but produce 70% of the steak of a cow twice its size."

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article4547604.ece

6. PaulaJoAnne

Jul 30, 2009
    Quote:Raw milk tends to cost more. Pasturized is so cheap, because of price fixing, and the poor farmers stay afloat by using subsidies.
    Prices range from $2.50 all the way up to $20 per gallon, depending on where you live. We pay $5 for grassfed (in summer), lightly grained milk. Its the best we can get in Alaska.
    Take a look at www.realmilk.com to find out lots of good info and also locate a farmer near you. And to see if the sale of it is even legal.

Raw milk, especially grassfed, tastes nothing like commercial pasturized.
    Take a look at the pics on my mothers post about her new source for pastured/grassfed milk. http://seedsofnutrition.com/?p=5953
    Would
    you have imagined there would be so much cream?

7. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    There is even a big difference in taste between lightly pasteurized non homogenized, regular pasteurized and homogenized and ultra pasteurized and homogenized. I found a brand that is lightly pasteurized and non-homogenized and it is delicious! It is the closest I can get to raw in my area.

8. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    Quote:That is very good to know - 6 mo preggy and didn't get on the prenatals right away, but always have raw milk in the house. The cream is so yellow right now, all those dandelions in the pasture [​IMG]

9. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    I grew up on raw milk. Loved it, had no idea what the deal was with store bought milk. I went with my mom out to a farm someplace and we bought big glass gallon jugs of it, and took our empties back to the man when we went for more.

When I first moved to KY, I found a source of local raw that isn't there anymore, of course it could only be sold for pet use. (The folks I bought from had no control if I took it home and used it myself, though.) That was nearly 14 years ago.

It never hurt me a bit, and I'm probably going to have to break down and get my own cow someday, in order to have it again. Maybe after we start raising pigs on a regular basis, so any excess won't go to waste, since we won't be allowed to sell it in this state.

KY's not a small-producer-friendly state, even though they claim they do all they can to help small farmers. They make it so expensive to do anything here, most small producer can't sell their goods for enough to break even. Forget processing your own meats, or selling raw milk, or any home-made dairy products like cheese or yogurt.

10. PaulaJoAnne

Jul 30, 2009
    Quote:Certainly you re not referring to meat for your own consumption?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by