milk for chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by smom1976, Jul 31, 2008.

1. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    I gave my chickens some old milk and they all loved it. They didnt seem sick or anything. but can they have it. Good source of calcium.

2. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    I was wondering the same thing. What about other dairy products? I'd like to see what others have to say..

3. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    There was a thread on this subject a while back. It seems the chickens can not digest the milk, so it's not good for them. I have given my chickens cheese, tho, without any problems.

4. debakadeb

debakadeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    You can give them yogurt. I haven't heard about milk.

5. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Mine had peach yogurt for the first time while she was sick last week. She LOVED it!! Num, Num!! However, I only let her have a little bit twice because of the sugar.

6. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Hardly any animal can digest milk. They may like it but it's rarely good for them. Even cats really shouldn't have milk and kittens shouldn't have cow milk. It does not help them any.

7. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Yogurt is good for them b/c it provides beneficial bacteria for their littsl guts, gives calcium and is a source of protein.

Plus, it's yummy! Make your own. It's easy. "Yes, you, too, can heat milk and leave it on the counter overnight." Miss Prissy's recipe: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9738

8. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    this was old milk.. it didn't smell real bad but it was a week past date.. created some cultures I assume.. but there was 3/4 gal left and I didnt want to see it go to waste.. so I gave it to them.. they sat there at that bucket for 45 min strait drinking...

9. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    Honestly I don't know why but it seems unnatural to give them milk. They don't eat milk as babies. I know it can be deadly to give it to parrots so I would avoid giving it to chickens.

(being a vegan I think drinking milk is a little weird to begin with but that's just my thoughts)

10. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Quote:Being a mammal, I'm pretty much ok with it... [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by