Milk goats in western mass ?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by cmferrante, Nov 27, 2013.

1. cmferrante

cmferrante Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    I love milk. And at the cost today it's cheaper to pasture a goat or two and milk myself. I've had dwarf Nigerians before and honestly they didn't produce enough milk fore to want to deal with. I'd be looking for goats that produce milk similar to raw cow. Good for drinking but enough of the fats and proteins to make a decent cheese. I'm going to contact the local 4-h and see if they have any suggestions. I would like to keep it within mass if possible.

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    My experience of goat milk is that the diet more than the breed dictates the flavor and to some extent the composition of the milk. I've had both 'bad' and good milk from various breeds. The husbandry and diet are the deciding influences.

Best wishes.

3. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    It is very true that diet has a big influence on milk flavor, as does the way the milk is handled. However, heredity also plays a role, and in the case of Toggenburgs it can be a big one. A few lines of Toggs produce milk that is just about undrinkable and there is nothing you can do to make it better. I had a dairy with Alpines, Nubians, LaManchas, and Toggenburgs. All of my animals, including my Toggs, produced good flavored milk. However, for a short period of time I boarded some Toggs that did not. So it is something to be aware of. Alpines are my favorite breed of goat, but for milk flavor alone, I would buy a Nubian.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by