Milk Shares

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Stacykins, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    I am posting this here because it definitely deals with food, though not sure if it better belongs in the livestock section. I am definitely interested in finding a source of fresh, locally produced milk (either goat, cow, or sheep), but that would involve a share program. The tl;dr of a share program is that a farmer sells a 'share' of a milk producing animal and you also pay an upkeep cost in exchange for milk. I won't be getting some dairy goats until next year (not prepared this year!).

Has anyone here been a part of a milk share program? What questions should I ask of the farmer before joining one? I know I should see if the goats are well kept and make sure milking is as clean as possible. Anything else?

2. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    We have been herd-share members at a dairy for about 3-4 years now, and love it. Nothing beats fresh, unprocessed milk! The way our farmers run it is we buy a one-time share ($10) and then a $1/yr association fee. We can have as much milk as we want. Some farms limit the amount of milk to the number of shares, like 1 share = 1 gal/week. Ask the farmer how they run their program.

Also, a pastured or grassfed diet is extremely important when the milk is intended to be consumed raw. Our farm is nearly 100% grassfed. I would also ask for a tour; good farmers are proud to show their operation. Ask how often they test their milk, and what the results usually are.

Realmilk.com keeps a list of fresh milk dairies for each state. Word of mouth is good too. Good luck finding a farm [​IMG]

3. I am part of a goat share program here in california. I pay an annual fee and get 1/2 gallon of goat milk per week for the entire season. It is more expensive than buying store milk...be warned. I do it for the quality and it is deliverred in my CSA veggie box every week, so no extra effort to drive and pick it up. I use mine to make cheese.

Since it is part of my csa, i didnt do additional screening, but as i understand it cleanliness if very important or the milk will taste off or could even make you ill. So, I would try to visit the farm and get some brochures or talk to the owner about cleanliness, quality and safety.

4. jcatblum

jcatblum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    Did a share of fresh cows milk. $50 to buy in plus $24 a month for 1 gallon a week. When you left the share you were refunded $. My biggest concern would be the time frame in which they have already been doing milk & selling by shares. The location & timeframe in which you have to pick up your milk is also very important.

5. jcatblum

jcatblum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    Sorry double post, stupid phone!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  6. annep

annep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Im not sure on goats, but with cows, if he grains them too much, it's bad for their gut, and that's where e.coli comes from...in a healthy gut, it's just not there..Small bit of grain at feeding time is ok because their production needs just a bit..

7. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Thank you all, I have definitely written down everything to make sure I have it on hand!

I found a goat milk share about an hour away (which is close in UP standards [​IMG] ) with a 25$ buy in and then 10$ a week for at least a gallon of milk a week. Considering a quart of goats milk is a pricey 4.50$ at walmart, not bad I think! I thankfully have a very fuel efficient car, so that sort of trip once a week won't break the bank.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by