1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Milk stealing

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by PotterWatch, Jan 15, 2009.

1. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I keep having questions!!! Thanks so much for being patient with me and helping me out everyone. Now I am having an issue with Bella's older daughter nursing. She is a year old and I found out she wasn't fully weaned until she was about 5mos old. So now, she is trying to nurse as well. She tried a couple times the first two days after the kids were born, but Bella would kick her away. Now Bella isn't kicking her away and I am worried she is going to make the little ones not get enough milk. I don't really have a way to separate them (and she screams bloody murder if she is apart from her Mom). How can I stop her from stealing milk that she doesn't need anyway?

2. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Will the milk increase due to the demand? I'm totally ignorant of baby goats so forgive me if I am way off base.

3. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I have no idea. I don't really want her nursing though. Especially when I start keeping the milk for myself.

4. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I know that when it comes to horses, you simply seperate the mother from baby for a while, to form a "mental" weaning.

Try seperating the mother from the older kid for a few weeks. I know that with horses, you do this sometime after the baby becomes physically weaned. It just seems to form a mental "weaning" from momma.

I don't know about goats though.

-Kim

5. Thunderhill

Thunderhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    North Alabama
    Yes, milk will increase with demand but a kid over 5 months can drink ALOT of milk. I would try to separate her...maybe if you could throw up a makeshift pen on the other side of the property...or something like that. I'd leave her in for a week

She'll yell for a couple days... but all will pass

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  6. Orpingtonman

Orpingtonman Chillin' With My Peeps

Theres no other way other than separating her. Otherwise, she'll keep on trying to feed and the other won't get enough milk

7. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    I had 1 do this also after her momma kidded and had to reseparate again for about 4 mths. It worked and she is doing great now as she has her own babies. Good luck and put a friend in with her.

8. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Do they make goat pacifiers? LOL. Just kidding (oops, no pun there either...) We seperate babies from mama cows. I suppose your baby is just jealous he has to share his mama with new ones. We also use the milk replacement stuff for babies, but at the age of yours, they probably don't need the replacement any longer.
    Hugs and good luck!
    Christina

9. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:I wish I could do that. I can manage to separate them for a few days, but there is no way I can do it for months. My goats live in our backyard and have a gated area where they are put away at night. I only have the two does and the kids, so I don't have a friend I could put her with. My husband is ready to sell her, but I don't want to lose the potential milk (she is due in May). I guess I will try keeping them separate for a few days and see if that works.

10. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    can you safely tie her out in a corner of the yard?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by