Milk storage

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by PotterWatch, Nov 28, 2008.

1. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    What do you store your milk in? Glass mason jars or is there something better? If you use glass, do you have to keep them out of the light? One of my girls is definitely getting bigger and though I don't think she will be kidding for a while yet, I want to be prepared when milking time finally comes!

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Stainless milk cans or glass is best. Cooled down as quick as possible then strained and as far back in the fridge as possible in either my milk can or glass jars.

3. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    I also hang out on a milk cow forum and many use 1/2 gallon Ball canning jars.

4. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    If you use a milk can, do you have to have a separate milk can for each animal so that you are not pouring warm milk onto cooling milk?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    No. My big goats milk a gallon a day each. I have no trouble filling up jars.

I don't milk each animal into a separate container if that is what you are asking. I milk them all into the same bucket and then pour it through a strain with a filter into my milk cans which have frozen ice packs in them. When I finish I get to the house ASAP and the milk goes straight into my chest freezer to get it cooled down. In 2 hours or less I move it to the fridge.

6. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Now I don't know a thing about goat milk, but we have had an over run of cow milk before, placed it in plastic containers and froze it in the deep freeze. You have to make sure that the cream was removed as fat does not freeze well.
    Enjoy your new babie(s) and wealth of milk!

7. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Thanks for the information. I am a little nervous about milking since we will be drinking it raw and I don't want to chance any contamination or not getting it cold enough. I'm sure once I've done it for a while, I won't be so unsure about it. Nothing like practice makes perfect!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by