1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

milky colored eggs?????

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by dumb chicken lady, Jun 14, 2007.

1. dumb chicken lady

dumb chicken lady Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2007
    I'm not sure where to ask this question...I am a total newbie and am having a blast reading all these posts and learning sooooooo much! This is the 1st time I have had chickens get to egg laying age. Here's the question, some of my eggs, when you break them open the insides are a milky white. I am wondering if maybe they are semi cooking??? I am in the desert. Its like 105 degrees. Can you still eat them??? I have been throwing them away. I try to pull my eggs as soon as I see a new one. Any suggestions? Has anyone had this happen to their eggs?

2. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

A cloudy white in a raw egg is caused by carbon dioxide and indicates freshness. As the egg ages, the carbon dioxide escapes through the pores of the egg, and the white will become less cloudy. A pinkish or greenish-blue raw egg white possibly indicates spoilage with a certain bacteria (Pseudomonas spp).

They're cloudy because you are collecting them so often- It's a good thing!

...Wow, I just had a Martha Stewart moment [​IMG]

3. dumb chicken lady

dumb chicken lady Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2007
    Haven't checked this post. We were camping. Thanks so much, so once again I learn something NEW. I love this site!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by