Milky white swollen eye, not eating/drinking

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hua, Jun 2, 2018.

1. Hua

Hua In the Brooder

Oct 11, 2017
    Hawaii
    Hi! I need help diagnosing one of the girls. 3 days ago I noticed her being lethargic, barely eating and “sleeping” a lot, meaning her eyes were always shut. I separated her then. The next day I saw her eye was cloudy, so I put teramycin on it. Yesterday it looked milky white and slightly red. The pics are from yesterday. I put more teramycin on it and syringed her water since she isn’t eating or drinking. Today the eye it is swollen. I haven’t seen her scratching the eye at all.

Her eye keeps getting worse and she won’t eat or drink. Has anyone else delt with something like this? Should I stop the teramycin? I have Banamine prescribed as an anti inflammatory/pain control for a goat wound and baytril as an antibiotic. Would any of that work?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  2. Hua

Hua In the Brooder

Oct 11, 2017
    Hawaii
    Here’s a pic of her eye today. It’s more swollen and there’s a pink/red watery discharge.

Attached Files:

3. Hen Pen Jem

Hen Pen Jem Crowing

Sep 19, 2017
    Southern California
    Greetings Hua,

I magnified the image to get a better look. Mainly, I was trying to see if there was any change in the shape of the iris, as, this would not be good. However, the eye was too cloudy. I did notice a red spot on the inner corner of the eye, and a small area that was covered more heavily by the cloudiness.

She may have been pecked in the eye, probably four to five days earlier. Since then, an infection set into the eye. And since she is not eating or drinking, I suspect the infection has moved on into her body, maybe the lungs.

I would administer the Baytril if you want to save her life. There may still be time in the healing window. Next, if the Terramycin is not working, which I have had happen, switch to a triple antibiotic ointment. Preferably an ophthalmic ointment, but Neosporin can be used. I have even had great success using colloidal silver in the eye, for infections.

She needs nourishment, so you should feed her a liquid bird meal replacement. About 40 mL, per day will give her enough hydration and nourishment. I give 5 to 10 mL feedings, with a 10 mL syringe, about 4 to 5 times a day. You have to go slow, not to cause the bird to aspirate. And the meal replacement should have the consistency of a slurry, or thin pancake batter. Hopefully, you already know how to do this, or tube feed.

I prefer to use Hemp Protein powder with added vitamins and sometimes electrolytes, instead of bird meal replacement. You could also grind and sift her feed to a fine powder and mix it with water.

Provide mild warmth until she is better, 65 to 72 degrees F.

These are some of the things I would do if she were my hen. I hope this is helpful.

God Bless and peace to you. :)

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Her eye looks totally grey and cloudy. I am not sure what could have caused that. It looks like she is probably blind. The Terramycin ointment can help infection if it is caused by certain bacteria or mycoplasma. Is her other eye normal looking? Will she eat and drink if you put food and water in front of her? I wish I could be of more help.

5. Hua

Hua In the Brooder

Oct 11, 2017
    Hawaii
    Thank you. Do you know the dosage for baytril?

6. Hua

Hua In the Brooder

Oct 11, 2017
    Hawaii
    Also should I inject it or give it orally? It was prescribed as an injection for a goat.

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Hen Pen Jem likes this.
  8. Hen Pen Jem

Hen Pen Jem Crowing

Sep 19, 2017
    Southern California
    Injectables work faster, but you have to know the dosage. Also, since it is a chicken, you must alternate the injection site each day, right, then, left breast. If not, you can cause injury to the muscle. Never inject on the legs, as, this will cause lameness.

If it is for injection, then, that is how it should be used. I have used it as an oral medicine, but, it was formulated as a sweet suspension by the vet's pharmacy.

I cannot advise you on the dosage, but, other members here may be able to.

9. Hua

Hua In the Brooder

Oct 11, 2017
    Hawaii
    Thanks guys. I gave her .2ml of baytril 100 injected under the skin of her breast. Now I’m thinking it should have been her neck for under the skin or breast for in the muscle. Is it more common for baytril to be injected IM for chickens? When it was prescribed it was SQ for a goat.

I also forced about 10mL of water mixed with save a chick electrolytes in her plus about 5 mL of a corn flour slurry with electrolytes. Then I rinsed her eye with contact solution as a saline and put triple antibiotic ointment in her eye.

She seemed so defeated after all that, but after I put her back she started nibbling at some treats on the ground. So that’s good!

10. Hua

Hua In the Brooder

Oct 11, 2017
    Hawaii
    Hmm she laid an egg. Is that a good or bad sign? It’s an uneven color, lighter than normal and feels dry. Here’s a pic of both sides.

Attached Files:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: