Milky white water poo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by llnmaw, May 9, 2011.

1. llnmaw

llnmaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2011
    Spokane, WA
    Not sure who pooped it, but the suspects are between 11 and 16 weeks. Nobody is acting 'strange'. I found 3 odd poops. 2 of them were 100% milky poo. Looked like someone spilled milk. The 3rd had a little formed normal looking poo with the spilled milk. Outside temps are moderate/cool, so nobody is overheated.

I looked at the poo page and the watery white poo looks similar, but somewhat thicker than what I'm seeing.

Cause for concern or still within normal for poo?

~L.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
    check
    this page if you wish- diagnosis charts at bottom

It might not be any of those diseases, though.

Sorry I can't be of further assistance. Any suspicion of worms?

Also, I might add, that just because *I* have never seen this before, doesn't mean that it might not happen occasionally to a normal chicken. Sorry I just don't know. I would think that since no one is acting sick that it might not be a cause for concern.

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  3. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    Milky poo is caused by too many urates in the waste. Basically, too much pee and not enough poo. not sure what's wrong, but could be a kidney problem or something.

On my page is a poo chart... Check it out.. <-------

4. llnmaw

Feb 22, 2011
    Spokane, WA
    Quote:thanks for this link, I had not seen it and it seems like a great reference for the future! I let the girls out this morning and nobody seems suspect for an illness so I'm taking the watch and wait. I did scour the yard better this morning and there are a few more poops with lots of 'splatty' white that fall well within the normal range (according to the almighty poop page!) so perhaps it is nothing.

Perhaps and important detail that I had not thought of last night: while doing yard work I dug some tulip bulbs and tossed them on to the weed pile which was happily being scavenged....not an issue as we don't use any chemicals on our property...but the tulips/bulbs were tossed about and eaten. Could they be an issue? Normally tulip bulbs are under the ground and not available for eating. The chickens nibble on the tulip leaves whenever they get a chance, but that is not often because I quite like my tulips!

~L.

5. ChickensAreSweet

Quote:thanks for this link, I had not seen it and it seems like a great reference for the future! I let the girls out this morning and nobody seems suspect for an illness so I'm taking the watch and wait. I did scour the yard better this morning and there are a few more poops with lots of 'splatty' white that fall well within the normal range (according to the almighty poop page!) so perhaps it is nothing.

Perhaps and important detail that I had not thought of last night: while doing yard work I dug some tulip bulbs and tossed them on to the weed pile which was happily being scavenged....not an issue as we don't use any chemicals on our property...but the tulips/bulbs were tossed about and eaten. Could they be an issue? Normally tulip bulbs are under the ground and not available for eating. The chickens nibble on the tulip leaves whenever they get a chance, but that is not often because I quite like my tulips!

~L.

I know the moles and voles eat tulip bulbs like crazy so I personally wouldn't be afraid- but I wouldn't feed them on purpose either (I know you didn't.) [​IMG]

One year I planted a fig tree and lined the root ball with hardware cloth to keep the moles and voles from eating the roots. It didn't work. Around here you CANNOT plant tulips in the ground. In pots or they are doomed to be eaten.

6. llnmaw

Feb 22, 2011
    Spokane, WA
    I know the moles and voles eat tulip bulbs like crazy so I personally wouldn't be afraid- but I wouldn't feed them on purpose either (I know you didn't.)

This afternoon everyone still seems fine and I see no more of the odd poos...a little worry for nothing I guess!

My mom battles voles something awful (in N. CA). Her entire garden is about as predator proof as the best BYC keeper could think of and still the little suckers sneak in. Other than my kids, dogs and now chickens (why do I keep acquiring, on purpose, garden predators??!) nothing really bothers our garden. Maybe the slugs stage a war now and again.....a few crushed egg shells scattered seems to keep them at bay.

But I digress...

Thanks for the thoughts on my chickens and their poo![​IMG]

7. ChickensAreSweet

Quote:This afternoon everyone still seems fine and I see no more of the odd poos...a little worry for nothing I guess!

My mom battles voles something awful (in N. CA). Her entire garden is about as predator proof as the best BYC keeper could think of and still the little suckers sneak in. Other than my kids, dogs and now chickens (why do I keep acquiring, on purpose, garden predators??!) nothing really bothers our garden. Maybe the slugs stage a war now and again.....a few crushed egg shells scattered seems to keep them at bay.

But I digress...

Thanks for the thoughts on my chickens and their poo![​IMG]

I am glad to hear everything is getting better.

You know, I just thought of something. When I feed my chickens a LOT of tofu, they have runny poo and it seems to have a little more white in it.

See you around BYC!!!

[​IMG]

8. aliciasch

aliciasch Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2015
    SW Oklahoma
    I found a milky poo this morning from my barred rock hen. I've checked the charts already. It looks similar but hers were more formed with a little regular poo with it. It's not extremely runny

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

When mine have poop with excess white it's usually due to dehydration. Can you post a picture of it?

-Kathy

10. aliciasch

aliciasch Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2015
    SW Oklahoma
    [​IMG]. Here's a better one. It's formed but still runny white

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by