Mill Ground Feed

jaku

Songster
12 Years
Jan 13, 2008
Howard City, Michigan
I just picked up 500 pounds of feed at the mill, and it's ground REALLY fine- almost looks like sawdust with chunks. I've used only pre-bagged feed with big chunks/crumble in the past, so this seems odd, but I'm sure a feed mill knows how to grind chicken feed. Does this seem normal to everyone??

That's the way it comes from most feed mills and it does increase feed waste. We added an extra lip onto our feeders so they don't knock as much out.

Steve in NC

Ask if your mill will crumble it or pelletize it? Most do not, but you may get lucky.

Unfourtantly this is how milled feed comes... it's cheaper and does the same thing as crumbles. The meat birds won't waste much, it's the layers that get picky.

I love milled feed,especially the cost.After they get use to it they won't waste as much.But if your going from pellets to mash you'll notice it more.Some of my birds have had nothing but mash and don't seem to waste any. Will

I have found raising the feeders eliminates a lot of waste. My feeders are hanging at a height that is a little higher than the hen's backs. I did the same thing for my meaties. I kept raising it as they grew. It also prevented the meaties from laying down and eating themselves to death, since the had to stand tall to get their food.

Back
Top Bottom