Mille chronic cold symptoms

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by thefishery, Jan 6, 2013.

1. thefishery

thefishery Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    My son got a booted mille fleur rooster this past summer. He has been chronically ill since we brought him home. :( He was purchased with a set of guineas who have never been sick.

Symptoms:
    Cough, sneeze, wheeze

History:

I don't know what his age or weight is. He is a full fledged rooster, crow and all. He has always been on the thin side. You can feel his breast bone sticking out with very little meat to him.

He will eats happily. I've been giving him some chick starter thinking it might help give him a little boost. He also gets some corn and from time to time he will get a bit of goat or pig pellet. Still never putting on weight.

When we brought him home he was kept away from all the other birds for fear of spreading whatever it is he's got. At one point we were really worried and brought him inside where he stayed for about a month. We have always had him separated from the rest of the flock since, in fear that he would be picked on because all our flock is made of heavy weight birds. We got him a bantam friend to live with because we couldn't stand to see him alone. That one never did get sick, kept on weight and was generally healthy. Well that is up until recently when she managed to get half her body out of the pin they were in and ended up dying there :( That was last week. I've noticed the mille getting sick(er) since. Afraid he was going to mourn to death, we've brought him back in the house.

Bringing him in I was able to see that he was a little sicker than I thought. I put some antibiotics in his water yesterday. Today I washed out the waterer and gave him electrolytes. I was thinking of doing another round of antibiotics tomorrow but decided to ask for advice on here first.

Poop looks...normal? It may be a little on the dry side.

Right now, he's in the house, in a rabbit cage on news paper. He's got a cup for food and is drinking from a water bottle which was new to him and he picked up really quick. When he was outside he was on the ground, he had some hay, it's been wet lately but he had a doggyloo as shelter which was dry and cozy.

He does not have runny eyes, nose or anything like that. He does not seem to be swollen but he does have that over all sick appearance. There may be a vet in the next county over that could see him but I'd rather not have to pay an arm and leg or drive there. On the other hand, my son is very upset with the other little chicken dying so I want to get this guy in good health. I'm tired of having to try to treat him with his symptoms really never clearing up completely. Obviously the stuff I have isn't doing the trick and I need something else. I'm sure this roo will love to be 100%.

I can't think of anything else to say about what has been going on. Hopefully someone will give me some advice. I was thinking of worming him but if he's weak from this cold I don't know if that would be a good idea now or not. Maybe worming is the answer? Thanks in advance.

2. thefishery

Oct 19, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Oh shoot! I forgot to mention that he looks like his feet hurt but when i looked at them I didn't see any signs of bumble foot. Like I said, it's been wet and that's what I figured it was. One looks a tiny bit pink but not bad. I don't know what that means. I really can't tell with all the feathers if there is anything else going on with his legs. Should I dust him or what? He holds the one foot up that looks pink but when he walks he kind of acts like both feet hurt him and picks his feet back up really quick.

3. thefishery

Oct 19, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Oh shoot! I forgot to mention that he looks like his feet hurt but when i looked at them I didn't see any signs of bumble foot. Like I said, it's been wet and that's what I figured it was. One looks a tiny bit pink but not bad. I don't know what that means. I really can't tell with all the feathers if there is anything else going on with his legs. Should I dust him or what? He holds the one foot up that looks pink but when he walks he kind of acts like both feet hurt him and picks his feet back up really quick.

4. thefishery

Oct 19, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Sorry for the multiple posts. I don't know what happened there and don't know how to fix it :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by