Mille Fleur age?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ourlittleflock, Oct 19, 2010.

1. ourlittleflock

ourlittleflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    North Carolina
    [​IMG]

not sure if I am in the right area - But I gained a pair of mille fleur d'uccle from our local auction.. Once they were quarantine and treated for the scaley mites I have a lovely pair I think? but the question is how old are they? I have had them for about 8 weeks and since the 6th week she had layed an egg almost every day - and they are larger eggs then all my other bantams... is this normal? My largest eggs came from my cochins but hers are even larger!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

any help would be appreciated

2. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    I don't know of any way to age chickens but they look like young birds [1-2 years] to me. They also look pretty nice. Should be a good start with the breed. Start hatching those big eggs.

3. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Definitely at least 1 year old, probably 2. Pretty birds, from what I can see.

Eggs shouldn't be 'large', but if fertile I'd hatch them while you can. Millies aren't the most dependable layers....

4. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Quote:I agree with the age being between 1 and 2 years. Millies spots become more prominant with age and yours are spotted up nicely so I think the 1-2 years is a pretty good guess. I agree also in that you need to be hatching those eggs while you can! Very pretty birds, look like you made a nice pick up at the auction.

5. ourlittleflock

ourlittleflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    North Carolina
    thanks - I may have to break the incub back out this year for the 3rd time... ha ha ha [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    Very pretty .. I am really enjoying watching my MF and BMF spot out .. they are so precious!!

7. V Comb

V Comb Chillin' With My Peeps

Im not sure if this is true, and d'Uccle experts correct me if I'm wrong that the older they are the less white they show?...I've heard that from somewhere but can't remember where...

8. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Quote:I have heard that they show more white after every molt. Mine are all spring chickens so I guess I will find out...

9. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Quote:Opposite: They gain more white with every molt.

10. Sterlingc27

Sterlingc27 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2010
    Ghio, NC
    Judging on the fact that your birds seem to be fully feathered and that there are no long prominent tailfeathers i would say 1 year. Eggs? if eggs then maybe up to 2 but still quite young.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by