Mille Fleur Bantams

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Mers13, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Mers13

Mers13 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2017
    I have a questions about Mille Fleur Bantams. I have been told that they are Cochin based and Mille Fleur is just a color within the Cochins. I am wondering if this is true or false because from what I have found searching through Google is that Mille Fleur is a breed within it's self?? Thanks in advance!! ~Merinda

2. GoldenFlight

GoldenFlight Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    Mille Fleur is a color of chicken and comes in quiet a few breeds. This was one of my old Mille Fleur OEGB.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. The Moonshiner

The Moonshiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2016
    Missouri
    Mille fleur is a pattern/color and is seen in a variety of breeds.
    The original mille fleur was a mille fleur D'Uccle. There was a time when that was the only breed with the pattern and they were simply called mille fleurs.
    Of course with such a pretty pattern it was only a matter of time before people wanted to see it on other breeds and breeders started all kinds of mille fleur colored projects.
    We have MF bantam cochins and MF leghorns but I never call them just "mille Fleurs". To me the name Mille Fleur by itself will always be thought of as the original. The Mille Fleur D'Uccle.

1 person likes this.
  4. GoldenFlight

GoldenFlight Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    Your very good at explaining these things![​IMG]

5. Mers13

Mers13 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2017
    So was the original MF a bantam?? I saw on some hatcheries that they are selling Beligum MF. Are they are cochin base then?? Thanks!

6. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD

d'Uccles (the original mille Fleur) are bantams. Belgian indicates they could be d'Uccles, d'Anvers, or booted bantams.

d'Uccles have muffs and feathered legs; d'Anvers have muffs and clean legs; booted have feathered legs and no muffs.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by