Mille Fleur Cochin cockerel update pics

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by onthespot, Jul 11, 2008.

1. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Took a couple of pics of my little roo boy the other day. He is just a dandy! he has a beautiful generous tail cushion, the cutest beak in the world and a nice comb, great feet feathers and a wonderful personality. He used to have big splashes of white on his back and sides but now he is molting out with deep chestnut saddle feathers where a big white patch used to be covering his whole back. I just love this bird!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    He looks great [​IMG].

3. revelu

revelu Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2008
    Midland, MI
    I was just wondering the other day if anyone had developed a standard size Mille Fleur , and here you go with a bantam Cochin-- do you think a standard size anything with Mille Fleur pattern is possible? I would love to work on something like that, congratulations on your beautiful boy!!
    Vicki in Michigan

4. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    In Germany, they have standard Millie Fluer Wyandottes. The Millie fluer pattern is shown in a bird that possesses genes for buff, mottled, and columbian. All three of these genes are recessive, therefore, you must have all three for the bird to visually show the millie fluer pattern.

I would think that with diligent work and research, you could create about anything standard with the pattern. I know Plymouth Rocks come in all the aforementioned colors except Mottled.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  5. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I am sure it is most certainly possible to breed standard mille fleurs, no more difficult than bantams. Mille fleur is a combination of mottled, buff and columbian genes. All you have to do is stack those genes all on the same bird, without some other genes sneaking in and presto, you will have a mille fluer. I think the easiest way to do it would be to start with a bantam mille fleur and cross him on some standard black mottled hens, or some nice buff hens, buff columbian would be your absolute best bet, but good luck with THAT! They are as hard to find as the mille fleurs. I don't have any eggs to send right now, but check back in the fall, I will hopefully have some mille X black mottled eggs I could part with... knock on wood. All I have is this one guy, if he croaks, I'm dead in the water.

6. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    [​IMG] He is very pretty. I had an accidental egg identification and came up with a black cochin bantam X mille fleur, turned out to be a cockerel. He was just black with white on chest. But he is so cute.

Well there are a lot of brownish feathers coming in and I am keeping him, seeing how I have both d'Uccles and Bl cochin bantams to breed with. It will take a while though. Body seems mosttly cochin but tail is somewhat upright. He first came in with vulture hocks but they are softening up too. This will be my unplanned project, I guess.

O yeah well I have bantam buff orps, maybe I can do something with them too. What do you think? Should I add the orp in there somewhere?

7. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    It would be nice if I had a mottled cochin.

8. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    Beautiful Cochin.

9. Hi! What a pretty little bird!

I have some youngsters from my mottled Cochins that look *kind of* similar.
    They are obviously not full Cochin as they have slate and slate / yellow legs, but they are real cuties {There was a mixed breed silver laced roo (Polish decent) that had a habit of flying in their pen to visit}.

I couldn't remember what that brown / black / white coloring was called.
    I'll get a pic and maybe you can tell me if they'd be mille fleur.

[​IMG]
    Lisa

10. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    spangled, millie fleur, speckled, jubilee

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by